I'm a clumsy Mum

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katachtig

Lucy will run in front of me and flip over to show me her tummy and then almost get stepped on.
This is EXACTLY what Cable does!

semiferal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As long as she is not given painkillers, you can let her do whatever she wants. If she does something that she shouldn't, it will hurt and she will stop doing it. There isn't much that can be done for most of these injuries so the best thing is to keep her off pain meds so she knows her paw is injured, and let her go about her life as she wants.

missykittystars

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know how you feel!

I fell over Missy the other week, and she went flying, I didn't see her there and I stepped on her and she leaped and yelped, I was crying.

The noise stayed in my head to! it's horrible shreaking sound....

She was fine though, gave her lots of cuddles! and lots of chicken!!

semiferal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SolarityBengals

Even if there is a fracture, is there anything the vet can do? Cats are very good at hiding pain especially if its small. I think small fractures like that will mend themselves eventually.
You're correct. Unless it is a compound fracture, which will usually require surgery and a period of immobilization, there really is nothing that can be done. Pain meds are counterproductive because if a cat can't feel pain, he'll run around as if nothing is wrong and only end up risking further injury. I have always approached injuries by looking and feeling for obvious problems, and if I find nothing then I just let it go and keep an eye on it.

Another thing to keep in mind is that sprains can take a long time to heal and are easily re-injured. Anyone who has ever had a sprained ankle can attest to that. So if your cat seems to be feeling much better and the next day is limping again, that's a pretty good sign that it is a sprain. It will get better eventually, and the cat will avoid weight bearing or other painful activities as long as it is painful, which will promote healing.

smokiethecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm glad your cat is feeling better!!! The other day I was trying to get a lot done in the kitchen with my two underfoot...not a good combo! Anyway, I stepped forward and stepped right on Bagel's tail...she howled so I quickly stumbled back and stepped right on Smokie's tail....then he howled...I felt sooo bad and like a major klutz!!!!!

A few years back,we had to give my grandmas cat away because the cat would constantly wrap herself around my grandmas legs as she walked and caused her to stumble and fall.Thankfully she was okay. But I felt sorry for the cat. I couldn't take her at the time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pombina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The cats house, we just pay the mortgage..
Originally Posted by smokiethecat

I'm glad your cat is feeling better!!! The other day I was trying to get a lot done in the kitchen with my two underfoot...not a good combo! Anyway, I stepped forward and stepped right on Bagel's tail...she howled so I quickly stumbled back and stepped right on Smokie's tail....then he howled...I felt sooo bad and like a major klutz!!!!!

A few years back,we had to give my grandmas cat away because the cat would constantly wrap herself around my grandmas legs as she walked and caused her to stumble and fall.Thankfully she was okay. But I felt sorry for the cat. I couldn't take her at the time.
Oh No! They just don't realise what they do to us do they! Glad your cats are both ok though. Nismo is back to full health though, up to mischief as usual