If you have more than one cat, does one or more have more "affectionate" personalities?

rachelinaz

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I really didn't think Elsie would be THE personable cat. Honestly, I didn't expect any of them to be so loving, attention grabbing little buggers. Only Mew does her own thing. She is my husband's cat more than one else. She will let us pet her but she follows my husband around like a dog.  She was hand raised by a male from newborn age with a dropper, so maybe that is why?

However Elsie loves anyone and everyone. Last night, my daughter "accidentally"  (she knows better now!) helped Elsie do something by holding her by her back feet. Well Elsie lightly bit her (really lightly) and then licked her where she bit her and then rubbed herself all over my daughter. I have never seen or heard of this. It helped I could tell my daughter Elsie did not like what she was doing, but she still loved her.  
Apparently her blood sister Ana has done the same thing. If she doesn't want to play or doesn't want a tummy rub or just wants to be left alone she has done it. Lightly bit whomever but then licked the person and rubbed herself all over the person.   I really hope Wally has the same personality. He is from a differently litter (as is Mew). Mew stays away from most of us but dh. She doesn't mind if we pet her but she won't cuddle.

We had Siamese cats before and they did what they wanted when they wanted. Rarely were they cuddlers or wanted/needed attention. This is a real eye opener for us. An awesome eye opener!

Is this normal for most cats, to be so affectionate?

alyssam

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We have six cats on the farm where we live.  Four of the six are outdoor cats and they all vary in personality and how affectionate they are.

HP who was here when my boyfriend's family moved in some years ago. She's approximately 8 years old and semi-feral. She doesn't like being picked up (will tolerate it for about 30 seconds then squirm) and being petted on her head but enjoys being pet on her back. She is easily the most talkative cat I have ever had, always meowing and making noises.

Lucifer was given to the family by a neighbor and was already full grown. He is also approximately 8 years old. He enjoys being pet but is not a fan of being held or cuddled. However he is incredibly gentle, especially with my 2 and 4 year old nieces.

Frosty is our Siamese, and basically like you said about yours. She does what she wants when she wants. Though she is almost always purring and has a serious case of elevator butt when being pet. She is moderately affectionate toward everyone but absolutely DESPISES being picked up.

Cici is also moderately affectionate. She likes to play the "chase me all over the place if you want to pet me" game. But does enjoy being held for short periods of time. She is also quite talkative.

Atticus is one of the two cats we allow in the house. He comes in occasionally and lays on the bed with us. If he is feeling really affectionate he will snuggle with us and give us headbutts. He isn't very vocal unless he wants your immediate attention (food or let me in/out). He also has a serious case of elevator butt and loves belly rubs. He tolerates being held but does not like being held on his back.

Nel is the other cat that comes in the house. She is inside more than out and is very affectionate. She is always rubbing loving on us and is very curious. Always interested in what we're doing or eating. Over the past year she has become more talkative and will meow at us almost every time we enter the room. She lays on us, with us or beside us. Always purrs when being held or pet and is great with my nieces. She lets them hold her for hours. 

Just like humans, every cat is different! 

Last edited:

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mo is a giant suck. No matter who or what is in the apartment, whether they're brand new people or he's seen them before, he'll mark it and rub his face and body all over and meow for attention. He's a ham. He'll do the same with new and old inanimate objects. Sometimes he'll get to licking too, but more frequently with familiar people.

Kismet is more shy and reserved. She'll follow us around sometimes (familiar people) and her "exceedingly affectionate" actions are walking near me and letting her tail graze the back of my leg. Loves to be around us, but doesn't show it the same obvious physical way Mo does.