If I may be so bold...

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are all different. Just supervise the introductions. Most adults seem to be more afraid of the kittens then attack them. Some take to them from the begining. Don't worry if they hiss or smack the kittens when they come close - kittens have to learn to respect older adult cats and not just their mother.

asecretk

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TNR1

There is more to being ready then eating solid food and using a litterbox...and shelter's frankly HAVE to get their kittens out or else they are euthanized. The other benefit of waiting until 10-12 weeks is that you may be able to find a vet clinic who will spay/neuter the kittens before you place them...thus you don't have to worry about following up to ensure the kittens are fixed. Our rescue is now placing kittens at 10 weeks, after they have been fixed.

Katie
I know that there is more to it than just eating solid food and using the litter box.

I have other cats and the younger ones socialized with the kittens all the time. I have an upstairs bedroom with no way to block it off. ( I have a pretty small house so there was no where else to put them)

I put the kittens in a large pen in my room when they were about three weeks old (with a den of course) and the three of my younger cats socialized with the kittens all the time. They also groomed them and sometimes slept with them (and ate their food..lol) I was surprised the momma even allowed this but she didn't seem to mind at all.

At 5 weeks they were free to roam out of the pen and were socializing more and more. By the time they were six weeks they were freely roaming the entire house (except the basement) with all the other cats. They are a very advanced litter for their age.

I would not have let them go if I didn't feel they were ready.

I am glad that pxxiegirl feel she needs them to stay longer. I didn't realize until I read her other posts that the kittens had not been socialized with her other cats so I agree that they need more socialization time.