I would love to know (or close to) the breed of my cat!

riverac5291

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Last edited:

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Clark is a handsome boy! 
 He is a domestic long hair. Not a particular breed but like most cats it is the result of inheriting many kitty genes. 

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Clark has a color/ pattern called Red Point   .  It means he inherited from each parent a gene for the colorpoint ( aka pointed) pattern.  If a cat gets 2 of this gene,  it makes the most dense color restricted to the cooler parts of the body.  Blue eyes always goes with the pointed pattern. 

The pointed pattern originally came from Siamese but  just having this pattern doesn't tell anything about how recent the Siamese ancestry was ,  because since the 1800s it has been both bred into other breeds and also spread through cat populations in the rest of the world due to Siamese and their descendants mating with the local cats.   So by now there are many cats with this pattern who have scarcely a drop of Siamese in them.  ( and it might have been passed down via another breed that got it from Siamese.

It can be passed down hidden by a cat who has just one copy so does not show it in their appearance.   so it doesn't mean that Clark's parents necessarily were also pointed kitties.   

As already stated  , Clark would be classified as a Domestic Longhair which just means a longhair cat of no particular breed or unknown ancestry.   Unlike dogs,  cats are not usually a breed or mix of breeds.   The vast majority have just bred randomly on their own  and have a mix of genes from the general cat population in their area.      

If you were to compare him to a breed,  it would be sort of like Balinese.  but  has a more dense double coat.

Congrats on your cute Red Point boy!  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

riverac5291

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank yall for that! I definitely appreciate the insight and yall were very helpful :)