I was told my cat is a rag doll ?

bmaaw8929

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was told he was a rag doll but he looks more Siamese to me ? He is not fluffy . What do you guys think ?

Last edited by a moderator:

macha 143

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
 ​Aww...too cute!

He looks like Siamese to me but I am not expert.

There are great advisers and members that will help you :-)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would happily buy him as a siamese old type - look alike, them who nowadays are often called for Thai.

I wouldnt not buy him as a ragdoll look alike - because he is shorthair.  If he were longhair he could surely be a nice ragdoll look alike.

And why I retell look alike?  Beause without papers you dont know anything for sure. And thus, he will be counted as domestic, DSH, seal point.

Why, theoretically, if the person telling you he is a ragdoll, is she is enough reliable, he even COULD be technically a ragdoll of sorts.  Say, a recognized breeder makes an outcross for which he gets permission for the association.  Most of the  resulting kittens, alhtough not typical looks, are technically purebred and have right to the certificates - because the outcross is allowed.

BUT not being typical, they are sold cheeply as pet quality, without breeding rights. 

Another possibility its such a rare happening which does happens now and then even in the best families.   There MAY hop up a longhair kitten in a shorthaired breed. There MAY very occasionally hop up a shorthair kitten in a longhair breed.   Its not seldom this way they start a new version of a breed.

So theoretically is almost everything possible, but is the question of exact background and credibility.

If someone without solid credibility  told it was a ragdoll, the most probably is that person didnt knew much about cats, and just picked up a word sounding properly.

But as said, its a nice seal point, a look alike of a siamese old type / Thai.   If he had all the papers and certificates, he would surely do all right on any Show.   Wouldnt perhaps win them, but nobody would laugh at you, and with time he would surely win at least the Champion title.

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

I would happily buy him as a siamese old type - look alike, them who nowadays are often called for Thai.

I wouldnt not buy him as a ragdoll look alike - because he is shorthair.  If he were longhair he could surely be a nice ragdoll look alike.

And why I retell look alike?  Beause without papers you dont know anything for sure. And thus, he will be counted as domestic, DSH, seal point.

I agree.  And, as well, he doesn't have the typical face blaze and boots that most ragdolls exhibit.  I do have a question, though.  How does he behave when you pick him up?  Ragdolls are notorious for totally relaxing, almost melting into people's arms.  It is where the breed got its name.  That could help us pin it down a bit.

All things considered, I think maybe not, but whatever his parentage and heritage, he's a cutie.  Just love the little guy and don't fret much about it.