I think he's a Manx?

awesomejamie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We adopted Lynx a few months ago and have been curious about his breed ever since. The vet said his bob-tail was natural and not caused by a trauma. We think he's a Manx, because of the longer legs, round face, and tail, but aren't sure because he is on the heftier side. Because he's so big, he weighs about 16 lbs, I began to look into Pixie-Bobs as well.

He is very friendly and meows loudly and often. He follows us around (unless it's naptime) and loves belly rubs. I adore him so much, so this is all just pure curiosity!

Any suggestions are much appreciated!

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just being bobtailed or tailless does not make him a Manx or a Pixie Bob, however, and with his blue eyes and lynx point color pattern, he would does not fit the color standard for either (no colorpoint patterns included).  He is the perfect example of why people start new breeds however.  Who wouldn't want a cat who looks like him?  If you had one, you might look for another one just like him to make MORE of them!  He is a truly gorgeous cat and very unique.  You are lucky to have him.  If you ever wanted to show him, many shows have classes for Household Pets where there is no breed standard and the cats are judged on personality (they have to like being shown!) and looks, and it is just up to the judge's individual preferences.  TICA (The International Cat Association) is one group that has Household Pet Classes, so you might enjoy going to one of their shows if they are in your area.  Just check the show calendar at this link:

http://www.tica.org/public/calendar.php

angelinacat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Keep in mind that naturally occurring mutations happen all the time.  So you can end up with a cat that looks like a Manx, or a Scottish Fold, when there was no background breeding for that.

My best example of that is of my late Angelina.  She strayed up to the house, and I adopted her.  She shared many of the traits of an American Curl, including the loyalty, a chirping greeting, and the distinctive ears--although in her case, the ears were greatly mismatched.

I don't have a picture that shows the ears well, but here she is:

View media item 219302

angelinacat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Then there is this classic story:

I adopted a black and white tuxedo cat that looked like he could have had Maine Coon characteristics, in that the hair on his face and shoulders was short, but got progressively longer as his coat went toward his back legs and leaving him with a very elegant plume of a long haired tail.  Sadly he got into a fight and the tail got broken, and he was this way when I found him and adopted him.  The stump of the tail got infected so that the vet had no choice but to amputate the tail at the root.  Therefore he had been 'Manxed'.

Some years later we had a yard sale in the yard.  A couple on a motorcycle roared up, and upon seeing Blackie, the woman exclaimed:  "That's MY KIKI.  I would KNOW HER ANYWHERE!!" 

My husband calmly replied:  "Well, HIS name is BLACKIE, and if he will let you get close enough to him to turn him upside down, to examine HIS rear end, you can have him!"

The motorcycle couple disappeared VERY quickly....

Last edited: