I NEED TO KNOW WHAT MY BABIES ARE

chaos518666

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i have two amazing, crazy cats. i was told they were toygers, then sokokes. i need to know. there very different from other cats i have never seen cats like mine before. please help! should i go to a vet to really find out? they act like humans. really!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
toygers and sokokes are very rare breeds.  So unless you dont have any solid reason to believe they ARE one of these - they arent.

Say,  there was a hurricane in your neighbouring county crushing a hall where they had a big cat exhibition with most cats disappearing, and a week afterwards you did found  two unusual looking cats, apparently astray home cats.

The pics arent good, only the middle one is OK visible.  As I can see, they look nice, with bigger ears than what most moggies are, but they are probably - quite normal moggies. Or Domestic Short Hair if you want to say it more officially.

Cat breeds are usually not by their looks, but by their ancestry in first hand.

So without papers or at least, good proofs, most look alikes are just - look alikes, ie "moggies" with a little unusal looks.

There ARE cases when such unusual looking cats were accepted as "novices" in their breed, but it is exceptions.  And not seldom they are really such pure bred cats who got astray, as mentioned earlier.

Good luck!

Last edited:

clynn11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
All of these pictures look very similar to different tabbies I've had throughout my life, i'd say they are Domestic Short Haired Tabbies. Many of my cats have had very human-like personalities too. Unless you paid actual $$ from a breeder for a Toyger or Sokoke, the chance of you ever just coming across one is very rare.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are very cute domestic shorthair tabbies. Veryvery few cats are purebred or even purebred mixes (less than 1%), so the chances of them having any kind of purebred in them are slim to none. Vets aren't breed experts and won't have any better info than anybody else. I guess that if you really thought they were purebred and just had to know, you could ask a breeder of that breed to take a look. But being purebred doesn't matter at all unless you have their registration papers, and even then it doesn't mean much for pets.

Every now and then there are really awesome cats that come along in our lives. You're lucky to have two of them!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Vet, unless they are breeders or involved with shows generally don't know much about breeds. Mine didn't even have Ocicats in their breed database , let alone be able to point one out.

They don't look like Toygers or Sokokes, just beautiful domestics. There is no standard to a domestic so naturally you'll sometimes have larger ears, or a different pattern.