I knew I shouldn't have read the Rainbow Bridge forum

Asteria

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so very sorry about Inky! What a handsome boy he was. . .

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That is just so very sad for Inky. He was just scared. He doesnt have to be scared now RIP sweet baby .....

zurryskies

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Im sorry to read what I read.. I had hoped it wouldn't turn out that way..and it is horrifying.. and Im sorry for you.

I wanted to add a suggestion..based on what I have done in the past.. working with the Camarillo pound, when I used to live up in the ventura co. area.

First off.. the pound isnt a place of residence for most pets.. many pounds here vary, but in Camarillo, if someone drops off their pets in a carrier hoping someone will "adopt them".. the people at that particular pound call those kittens or dogs "red tags" and they are "destroyed" immediately!! There is no waiting period! Just so people know this, and I know other animal shelters are different, but I learned this about the Camarillo pound myself.

What I used to do, is adopt rabbits from the pound, and sell them in the paper for a very low price. giving them away free is not a good idea as many people are cruel and want something for free to torture it or destroy it or feed it to another animal.

If you can't take the animal and temporarily house it, you can run a free ad, there are many papers that will print free ads for animals to good homes, and when you find an interested caller, they can either go to the pound themselves, or you can release the animal yourself and keep it with you until the person comes.

In our state, there are also bulletin boards in all the pet shops for animals. Many people don't think of animal shelters when it comes to finding a pet. Not all animals in shelters are skittish or scared, most aren't.. and its another way to find a home for a pet that will probably lose its life if too much time passes.

I have done this with rabbits very successfully and found homes for 28 rabbits in the past.. just so you know. I always screen the people on the phone, and have found wonderful people for the rabbits that I "sprang out of jail" from the animal shelter.

I have also done this with at least 30 kittens.

Placing ads and getting calls will at least find you one person with a compassionate heart who is willing to adopt an animal, even if he has some problems. Its better than having an animal put to death and its always worked for me.

Just wanted to pass this on.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When you adopt a cat from the shelter, part of the agreement is that you will take it back there if for some reason you can't keep it.

The microchip is on record, and traced back to the shelter, so if one cat ever found it's way back and the owner was different to me, I would not be allowed to adopt again from them, and I would ruin the relationship and potentially do more harm then good.

Trust me, I have considered this option. I still mourn over Inky, he was just such a sweet boy, who did not deserve to die.