i have to let KiKi go......don't know where to post........

manickittylove

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow!!
It's been a while since i've been here....hello all!!
I'm facing a tough predicament and I don't know what to do, but I know I have to give KiKi to a loving family who will hug her and squeeze her and talk to her....and I can't bring myself to bring her to a shelter.
As most of you may remember, I have two cats....Baby and KiKi. Well, Baby is still not accepting of KiKi and because of this, she is being pushed aside. I have three litter boxes and Baby uses ALL of them and KiKi continues to do her thing on my floors.
I've tried to make her an outside cat, but she is used to the inside....Baby is an in and out as well. But, KiKi can play outside all day and then run inside to use the potty on my floor. I know this is because Baby is using all of the litter boxes, but I can't make him stop and I don't have a secure place for Kiki alone to use hers.
So, i'm faced with the predicament of giving her away to a loving family....and I know all of you guys on this site genuinely care about cats, i wouldn't go anywhere else.
I'll try this forum for a while and then if I cannot find anyone to take her, I'll have to either put an ad in the paper or bring her to the shelter.
i would appreciate any input.......~kisses and hugs all around~

purrfectcatlove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know all of Kikki's history so it may have all bin said already .
Did you go with her to the vet to see if medical all is right with Kikki ?
Did you try Felyway the Plug-in ? Did you ever had her all alone in a room to see if she using the litter box if allone ? I know I have a lot of questions .

Jezabel one of my cats from the shelter was doing that for 8 month and it sure was a long 8 month . The vet give me some kind of hormone pills for her , but then she start to use the bathroom by herself . Maybe the hormone pill would work for Kikki . Did you ever ask the vet about her behavior problem if it is no medical problem ???

prettyboy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
if you bring you beloved cat to a shelter don't you chance her/him
being PTS ? And not knowing what kind of a family your cat is
going to will drive you nuts, won't it ? Hold off and try some of the
suggestions the members here give you and if you still think you really
have to give her/him away, take your time and find someone you know
so that you can visit your cat from time to time and check up with
them to make sure your cat is doing okay. Otherwise there is no telling
where your sweetie will end up.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The hard reality of shelters is that there is a high euthenasia rate. In my area, pets turned in by their owner PTS rate is about 90%! They have a better chance of being adopted if they are strays than owner turn ins, as the overall rate is about 70%. There is no empathy for pets turned in at shelters - if you don't want them, who will? I don't mean to be harsh, but if you love you kitty, please don't take her to a shelter!

No kill shelters will always be full with a long waiting list. Most foster in their homes, and an opening has to come up to make room. With kitten season upon us, the waiting list will probably last until winter.

There are a number of threads in behavior on inappropriate elimination. Have you tried all of those tips?

If you decide to adopt, work with friends, family, co-workers or place an ad in a newspaper, grocery bulletin boards, etc. Always ask for an adoption fee (about $25). If you advertise "free to a good home", you risk having her taken by a "buncher" - someone who collects free animals for animal research. If you are comfortable with the person adopting, waive the fee.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm going to move this to SOS where you can get help if you really need to find a new home for kitty. I haven't been in there in the past couple of days, so I don't know if you've already done so....but I would highly recommend starting a thread in Behavior and see if there are some things you can try so Baby and Kiki can live together in peace...

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would suggest that you buy a book called Think Like a Cat by Pam Johnson Bennett. The pages you want to read are 162-180 Pam gives you a great program to help you understand why this is happening, and step-by-step she guides you towards solving it. The process is to lengthy to go through here, but before you decide to give up on this cat, I hope you will invest in the $17.00 for this very beneficial book

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

manickittylove

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A lil history about Baby and KiKi.......
I had Baby for almost a year before KiKi was given to me......and i'm sure, as all of you here understand...i spoiled the hell out of Baby before KiKi came....~soft smiles~
And then i spoiled KiKi too.....Baby tries to step on her when i'm petting and talking to her....~lol~ He is a bit of a bully.....and as i stated before, i have three litter boxes and Baby will use EVERY one of them....
KiKi has stepped into the smallest litter box before, the one i have for her....i praised her and petted her and let her know what she did was a good thing....then, immediately after...Baby jumped his big 'ole butt into that little bitty box and used it!! She hasn't been to it since......
i've recently started allowing them both to go outside during the day because i live in the country and they both still have that "outside" inside of them....
Kiki will play outside ALL day and then run inside to potty on my floor!!!
A bit of good new about the situation....i put some newspaper down where she seems to enjoying using more...and she did on the paper!!! Is that a good sign??

I've been thinking about this for two weeks now...the shelter near me says they don't put the kitties to sleep.........but where do they put them when there are no workers there?? If it's in a cage...i cannot bear the thought of that happening to my KiKi..........
She is a beautiful kitten and i'm sure it wouldn't be long before she is adopted...and yes, Prettyboy....i have also considered the options of who would be adopting her....and no, i can't bear the thought of not knowing how she is or how she is being treated........~soft smiles~

It's just so hard walking into my house and smelling nothin' but...well, i'm sure you know...~loL~ Summer time is coming up....and i really don't see Baby givin' an INCH!!
I've even considered the option of letting KiKi stay outside and be strictly an outside cat.....the first night was awful for the both of us, i'm sure...i left for work at 11pm and she sat in the drive way and just watched my drive off.....
The next morning she wouldn't leave my side....~soft smiles~
Is there such a thing as spoiling a cat too much??

Well, i've babbled and rambled enough....but i want to thank you all for your advice....i know i'm too much of a cat lover to give her away to just anyone....and/or send her to a shelter.....they would have to pry her away from me and force me to leave in a straight jacket!!! ~lol~
Just considering the option of having to give her up had me in tears half the night and into the next day.............

Again, thank you all so much....and i would appreciate ANY more input from anyone.........

hissy...i'll check out that book!!! i've been to the pet store.......but the books they had weren't solely devoted to the "litter problem" and i couldn't see paying almost 20 bucks for a page and a half..........

Again, with the "no kill shelters" which is what i have near me.....what do they do with the cats/kittens? Does anyone know? How they treat them and/or feed them...do they let them outside once in a while?? i really don't believe i'd bring her there...but i'd just like to know..........

Momofmany....~soft smiles~ Thank you.......there is no way i would put her "free to a good home"....i'd be paying 50 bucks for an ad!! ~loL~ i was thinkin' of somethin' like "adoption fee of 29.95.....beautiful and lovable dark calico kitten....needs to be in loving home...needs to be petted and loved unconditionally and talked to periodically".....~lil grins~

i'll consider my options and do all i can to keep her with me...other cat lovers give me much inspiration....again and again........thank you!!!

catlover67

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There is no empathy for pets turned in at shelters -
Sad but true. As if it is the animal's fault!! As a prospective pet owner, I would prefer to adopt owner turn-ins. At least the shelter could get some sort of background history to pass along. Why do strays get priority anyway? A homeless animal is a homeless animal no matter how they wound up that way.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Why do strays get priority anyway?
Hmm- and what priority would that be? First in line to get gassed or euthanized?

Strays are low on the priority list of shelters, unless that shelter is specifically for ferals and strays and if that is the case, then the shelter will not accept owner surrenders. Many shelters will not even accept feral cats and strays!

catlover67

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
hissy said:
Hmm- and what priority would that be? First in line to get gassed or euthanized?

Now now, Hissy, no need to get "pissy"
. I was just responding to this quote:

They have a better chance of being adopted if they are strays than owner turn ins,
Maybe "priority" was a bad word choice, so O.K why DO animals that are strays have a better chance at adoptions than owner turn-ins?

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
catlover67..not sure what shelters you are referring to....many shelters which are the ACO must take anything..owner give ups and strays are both accepted. The rescue that I volunteer with pulls from a full service ACO....someone goes down to the shelter and pulls as many of the adoptable cats as we can possibly take..we probably get equal number of owner turn ins and strays.

Katie

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
In my area, pets turned in by their owner PTS rate is about 90%! They have a better chance of being adopted if they are strays than owner turn ins, as the overall rate is about 70%.
This is a situational post...as you can see Momofmany is referring to her own area. I do not think she meant anyone to extrapolate it.

Katie

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It was momofmany's comment about strays having priority. My apologies catlover- I wasn't getting pissy- I was just stunned by the comment, because in my area, strays and ferals are not given priority over owner turn ins. Perhaps it is just certain areas and different protocol that causes this to happen.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

It was momofmany's comment about strays having priority. My apologies catlover- I wasn't getting pissy- I was just stunned by the comment, because in my area, strays and ferals are not given priority over owner turn ins. Perhaps it is just certain areas and different protocol that causes this to happen.
Ferals are PTS immediately here. Owner turn ins go next, followed by strays. This is the protocal in my area. I believe that the theory is that if an owner turned in their pet, there are behavioral problems that will only cause that animal to be returned again and again. And kill shelters don't have the resources to socialize a feral cat. But the no-kill shelter rescue groups typically pull from the kill shelters here, so part of the 30% adoption rate includes those transferred to no-kill programs.

The point is that if you take your cat to a shelter, make sure you understand what the protocals are in your local area.

purrfectcatlove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

Ferals are PTS immediately here. Owner turn ins go next, followed by strays. This is the protocal in my area. I believe that the theory is that if an owner turned in their pet, there are behavioral problems that will only cause that animal to be returned again and again. And kill shelters don't have the resources to socialize a feral cat. But the no-kill shelter rescue groups typically pull from the kill shelters here, so part of the 30% adoption rate includes those transferred to no-kill programs.

The point is that if you take your cat to a shelter, make sure you understand what the protocals are in your local area.
My shelter here is doing the same thing sadly
and they still gas them here where I live

We don't have any rescue group here in my area and so pts will take place twice a week , healthy or not