I Forgot To Dose Stool Softener

Cat Grrl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi All: Just wondering if anyone has advice about missing a dose of stool softener (polyethyleneglycol 3350). My 17 yo, Petal, is really benefiting from daily dosing. I forgot to dose her last night, because I fell and got slightly injured. This morning her stool was small and hard again. Should I double dose her today? Or, just wait for the regular dose tonight? Thanks.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not a vet but I would definitely not give a double dose. Better to be safe than sorry, so, unless you hear from someone more qualified, give her her next normal dosage at the normal time.
I'm sure she'll soon get over missing just one dose.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cat Grrl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your replies. That is what I was thinking but it is good to check with catpeople :)

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I regularly use that same stool softener for one of my guys, and was instructed to give it twice a day, and to give between 1/8th and 1/4 teaspoon. Based on that information, if this happens again, I think it would be perfected ok to give her 1/2 of the missed dose the following morning, and then maybe 3/4 of a regular dose that night, then pick up the usual dose the next day. The worse that would happen with this particular "med" is that should might have a lose stool. Better than the hard ones

Caveat - I don't recommend this for any prescription medication. Always follow what it says on the package for those!

E&S

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Definitely just wait. I take that as a human and am never to double dose.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
IMO, it's always best to skip the missed dose than to double up or try to make up for it in some way unless the vet has otherwise given you specific instructions on how to handle a missed dose.