Hyperthyroidism in 4 year old cat?

alexohotl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey there,
I have two cats (one 5 and one 4 years old.) The 4 year old one has been licking at her lower abdomen and paws excessively for months now, causing hair loss and sore looking red patches. She was brought to the vet about a month ago and the vet said it was most likely a nervous habit, wasn't painful, and to bring her back in case it continued. Welp it continued and got worse so she was brought back today-the vet said there were seven possibilities, but that it was really between allergies and hyperthyroidism. He looked at some cells and didn't find the allergies he thought of, but did find bacteria in the cells, and gave her a steroid shot to see if it helps.

Although she's being brought back I'm pretty anxious and upset about the whole thing cause she's only four, and I didn't think I'd have to start thinking about serious/possibly fatal complications already. She has lost two pounds since September, and is a fairly large cat. Has anyone been in this situation and what were the results? And is it possible for the life expentancy to be normal if a young cat is treated for hyperthyroidism?
Thanks

Just for reference, this is generally what her abdomen looks like (but this photo is just from google results since my phone camera is broken.)
what-should-i-do-about-a-severe-cat-stomach-rash-21402390.jpg

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, that poor baby!
She has lost two pounds since September,
Is she eating like she did before this started?

Since it won't harm and may be surprisingly helpful, consider cat music for stress and also try this from @mananyt1953;

Buy a box of plain, unblended chamomile tea from your grocery store. Brew a cup and chill it in the fridge. Use it as a wash on the area, applying very gently with a soft cloth.
Chamomile is antibacterial and anti-fungal, as well as wonderfully soothing to pretty much ALL skin ouchies and surface wounds.

I recommend buying the tea bags because ALL commercial chamomile tea is made from German chamomile, which is medicinally active and is safe for cats in those dosages. ENGLISH chamomile is pretty useless medicinally, and is actually toxic to cats. Since the two look very much alike, buying the tea bags takes the guesswork out of it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alexohotl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh, that poor baby!

Is she eating like she did before this started?

Since it won't harm and may be surprisingly helpful, consider cat music for stress and also try this from @mananyt1953;

Buy a box of plain, unblended chamomile tea from your grocery store. Brew a cup and chill it in the fridge. Use it as a wash on the area, applying very gently with a soft cloth.
Chamomile is antibacterial and anti-fungal, as well as wonderfully soothing to pretty much ALL skin ouchies and surface wounds.

I recommend buying the tea bags because ALL commercial chamomile tea is made from German chamomile, which is medicinally active and is safe for cats in those dosages. ENGLISH chamomile is pretty useless medicinally, and is actually toxic to cats. Since the two look very much alike, buying the tea bags takes the guesswork out of it.
She is, though she's always eaten a lot so it's honestly hard to tell if this is a spike in hunger or just a continuation of her regular habits.

And thank you! I didn't even think of a natural remedy (as we were given a spray but it just scared her,) but hopefully it will help soothe any itches/etc she has 💗

alexohotl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It might be worth asking if anyone on this site has had it done and get first hand experiences. Maybe start a new thread with the title 'Radioactive Iodine treatment experiences'

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hyperthyroidism is relatively simple to diagnose, although sometimes it does show up symptomatically before blood work shows it, so if the numbers are borderline, make sure they check again in 6 months. Look up the symptoms of hyperthyroidism and see if you notice any of them, especially if they get worse.

Hyperthyroidism is a terrible for what it does to the body, but it is completely curable! At $1000-$1500, radioiodine seems like a steep price, but after it's done plus a couple more checkups to make sure it took, your cat is cured for life, so it's usually less expensive than medicating in the long run and makes for a much happier cat. I didn't even bother going on the medication first with my cat-there's really no point. Your cat can absolutely live a normal life after treatment. I would recommend staying away from fish though, because that might be one of the causes.

Hypurrcat has a great website for info on hyperthyroidism.

alexohotl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It might be worth asking if anyone on this site has had it done and get first hand experiences. Maybe start a new thread with the title 'Radioactive Iodine treatment experiences'
Thank you for your help! I'll definitely start a new thread if she ends up getting those results 💗

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So did your cat get a blood test? A scintigraphy would be the only definitive diagnosis. But honestly out of all things to get hyperthyroidism is curable through the iodine treatment. Very rare for such a young cat to actually have it though.

alexohotl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hyperthyroidism is relatively simple to diagnose, although sometimes it does show up symptomatically before blood work shows it, so if the numbers are borderline, make sure they check again in 6 months. Look up the symptoms of hyperthyroidism and see if you notice any of them, especially if they get worse.

Hyperthyroidism is a terrible for what it does to the body, but it is completely curable! At $1000-$1500, radioiodine seems like a steep price, but after it's done plus a couple more checkups to make sure it took, your cat is cured for life, so it's usually less expensive than medicating in the long run and makes for a much happier cat. I didn't even bother going on the medication first with my cat-there's really no point. Your cat can absolutely live a normal life after treatment. I would recommend staying away from fish though, because that might be one of the causes.

Hypurrcat has a great website for info on hyperthyroidism.
Thank you so much for your help! This eased my anxieties a bit-a friend's cat of mine developed hyperthyroidism when he was 17 and it was hard to watch (and definitely not something I want to see my 4 year old cat go through.) I'll definitely check out that site/keep her away from fish, and I'm glad there's a long-term solution 💗

alexohotl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So did your cat get a blood test? A scintigraphy would be the only definitive diagnosis. But honestly out of all things to get hyperthyroidism is curable through the iodine treatment. Very rare for such a young cat to actually have it though.
She's going to get one in about three weeks, after we see how the steroids took on. Yeah, it was truly shocking for me to hear he thought of hyperthyroidism as a possibility-I certainly didn't think I'd have to think about a serious illness with her already.

alexohotl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What does her diet consist of? And has her bowel movements been normal? A food allergy could trigger weight loss and fur licking so I'm just wondering.
She has IAMS indoor cat dry food! I think I've heard IAMS is not great, but she actually lives with my family so I'll just have to ask them switch foods if that could be a cause.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She has IAMS indoor cat dry food! I think I've heard IAMS is not great, but she actually lives with my family so I'll just have to ask them switch foods if that could be a cause.
No dry food is not the best. Their foods have a lot of corn in them which isn't nutritionally appropriate for cats. And who knows maybe she's allergic to chicken now. Check out catinfo.org for some info if you want to learn more about their nutritional needs. When it comes to food sensitivities most vets wont be very helpful I'm afraid.

alexohotl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No dry food is not the best. Their foods have a lot of corn in them which isn't nutritionally appropriate for cats. And who knows maybe she's allergic to chicken now. Check out catinfo.org for some info if you want to learn more about their nutritional needs. When it comes to food sensitivities most vets wont be very helpful I'm afraid.
Sorry for the late reply but thank you for your help!

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Your saying dry foods is not the best, but what if your baby don't like wet food?🤷
I'm a little confused, i.e. since as white shadow white shadow mentioned this thread is over three years old and pertains to Hyperthyroidism, has your cat been diagnosed with that illness? If so, this thread may have some helpful advice for your regarding food for cats with H-T.
My cat's hyperthyroidism is successfully treated with a low-iodine diet.

However, if you're asking a question about dry vs wet food and not for a Hyperthyroid cat then these threads might be helpful for you:
How can I get my cat to eat wet food?
Cat will only eat dry food:
Dry Cat Food Question...