"Hunting" roast potatoes

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
For some reason, best known to Willow, when I have roast potato as part of my dinner, she would rather help herself to a roast potato and proudly take it away somewhere to store as her "prey" - even when I have cooked chicken as part of my dinner, she still chooses the potato to hide somewhere, instead of telling me to share the chicken?

(and yes she loves chicken, she insists she gets a little bit of chicken if I have any, like I said she prefers roast potato as prey she's decided)

Any ideas on why she thinks it's prey? She doesn't eat it, she just gets it off of my plate, meows, then walks off with it in her mouth to hide it (then leaves the rest of the potatoes for her meowmy)

i'm unsure if doing this with potato will hurt her if she eats a bit by accident

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For some reason, best known to Willow, when I have roast potato as part of my dinner, she would rather help herself to a roast potato and proudly take it away somewhere to store as her "prey" - even when I have cooked chicken as part of my dinner, she still chooses the potato to hide somewhere, instead of telling me to share the chicken?

(and yes she loves chicken, she insists she gets a little bit of chicken if I have any, like I said she prefers roast potato as prey she's decided)

Any ideas on why she thinks it's prey? She doesn't eat it, she just gets it off of my plate, meows, then walks off with it in her mouth to hide it (then leaves the rest of the potatoes for her meowmy)

i'm unsure if doing this with potato will hurt her if she eats a bit by accident
Is there a particular spice that you put on your potatoes? Maybe she likes the smell of it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
nope the roast potato is litterally that - a potato that got roasted

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Can’t help wondering if this all goes back to a feral instinct to “cache” prey, like a puma burying a carcass for a snack later.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my former girls was wild about potatoes as a plaything. If a open bag was left out she would steal a potato and knock it around. Unfortunately eventually she would take a bite of it and always throw up afterwards so potato bags had to be kept shut away from her.