Humane cat traps

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For those who are or were using traps to catch ferals, could you please pm me on which brand or type you prefer?
I've recently ordered 2 which are recommended by US animal control/SPCA but cost me almost $10 more than the other "popular" brand. Have I made a financial blunder?
Thank you.

scott77777

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cheaper isn't necessarily better. In most cases, the better traps are more expensive.

I tend to prefer Tru-catch traps for the design. They seem to rust a little at the corners, but I prefer to them to the Tomahawk traps (2nd pick) and definitely better than the Hav-A-Hart.

What makes Tru-catch different is that the door is *not* spring loaded. It falls based on gravity when it's tripped. So it's really easy to set varying amounts of tension and there's no concern about the door slamming down. The brown color tends to blend-in with bushes really well, so I'm usually less concerned about someone disturbing the trap.

http://www.animal-traps.com/36.htm

The two-door design makes it easy to release non-target animals. To release a undesired animal, you just lift the latch. Conversely, the Tomahawk traps have a more involved clip.

We get the 36D -- it's not cheap ($65-$70), but it gives the animals a little more room to stretch.

Neighborhood Cats in NYC recommends that trap and also Safeguard traps. I haven't used the latter, so I don't know how they compare.

http://www.neighborhoodcats.org/info/recommendtrap.htm

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you Scott.

By the way, your PM box is full!

ktlynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with Scott about the Tru-Catch - it's a great trap. Because the door slides down on rings rather than slamming shut, it's safer and easier on the cats since it doesn't make that terrible slamming noise! They're also heavier and more durable than the Tomahawk.

vegansoprano

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I like either Tomahawk 606 or Tru-Catch 30LtD. Since I drive a Civic hatchback, smaller is better for me (if cats need to recover longer than overnight, I put them in transfer cages for recovery). Tomahawk traps are less complicated to set and take up less space in the car. Tru-Catch traps close more quietly but the door sometimes doesn't close if you are trapping in a place that is overgrown with weeds. Additionally, the Tru-Catch 30LtD can be used for any cat from the smallest kitten to the biggest tom, because the trip plate is so sensitive.

I've used Havahart and frankly, I hate them.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by vegansoprano

I like either Tomahawk 606 or Tru-Catch 30LtD. Since I drive a Civic hatchback, smaller is better for me (if cats need to recover longer than overnight, I put them in transfer cages for recovery). Tomahawk traps are less complicated to set and take up less space in the car. Tru-Catch traps close more quietly but the door sometimes doesn't close if you are trapping in a place that is overgrown with weeds. Additionally, the Tru-Catch 30LtD can be used for any cat from the smallest kitten to the biggest tom, because the trip plate is so sensitive.

I've used Havahart and frankly, I hate them.
Welcome from a fellow DC area TNR advocate.

Katie