Howdy, ya'll

unicorn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thought it might be nice to introduce myself. I live in Mississippi with my husband, four dogs and five cats. I am also fostering three cats for a friend who is in the hospital for a lengthy stay, so we have cats the way other people have mice right now. The dogs don't seem to know what to think about it - cats buzzing around everywhere they look. I have been a bit overwhelmed myself, lately. I call them the Tribe, collectively. I'll introduce them.
The Tribe

Rufus, a red and white male tabby, has been with us the longest of the cats. He is a good-natured soul who loves to eat and have his head scratched. He has been missing his sister, Shadow, who was killed by a dog last year.
Rudy, also a red and white male tabby, came to us as an adult (and already neutered, what a deal
) from the shipyard in Texas where my husband was working at the time. Rudy is timid around new people, but he loves to sit in the recliner and rock in the evenings. He also loves the lady cats in heat, even if he can't do a thing about it.
JR , short for Jezebel's Revenge, is a grey, semi-longhaired female with just a bit of an attitude. We personally believe that she is a devil sent by a deceased cat we used to own as revenge against the others for harassment (I'll explain that theory a bit more in a later post - trust me, it's odd). She likes to talk and mess with my houseplants.
Then there are the shrimps, as I call them, Dink and Smudge, a brother and sister that I rescued as kittens from the alley behind the newspaper at which I work (there is a rather large colony of feral cats in the alleys and I catch kittens and place them in homes, when I can). Dink is the male, a grey classic tabby with a voice like a bullfrog and crossed eyes. He is a mischief-maker and all around good ole boy. His sister, Smudge, is a strange little girl. Also a classic tabby, she has an unusually short back, a kinked tail, and four of the longest legs I've seen in awhile on a cat. She looks a little like a jackrabbit when she runs. My little sweetheart.
Now for the canine members of the tribe.

Opie is a Carolina Dog mixed with a bit of Chow Chow. For those who don't know, a Carolina Dog is also known as a "yaller dog" or an American Dingo. He is a big clod, handsome, good natured and hard headed, but a clod. He also likes to fight, so we have to be mighty careful about who Opie gets around, as far as other dogs are concerned. He is highly protective of my husband and myself.
Myrtle is a smaller, mixed breed. I suspect she is a cross between a lab and either a beagle or a jack russell terrier. She is very meek and loves people. Likes to bark at cows. I also suspect that she is the one who killed Shadow, but I can't prove it, since I wasn't there.
Khan is a big, red, male chow, who found me one morning as I was running my route for work. We don't know where he came from and only estimate his age at about two. Very good natured, in fact so good natured that he is completely useless as a watchdog - Khan would grin happily while thieves drove up in a van and robbed us blind and probably then ride off into the sunset with them.
The undisputed queen bee of our Tribe is Pandy , short for Pandora. As an abandoned puppy, when we found her, she was in such bad shape that she only had hope left. Now, at ten years of age, she is fat, sassy and keeps everyone else in the Tribe whipped into shape. We think she is a cross between a border collie and a schnauzer.
Must go for now, ya'll, be cool.

ali012281

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow you have a full house!!! Welcome to the site! I can't wait to see pictures of your group, expecially Smudges long legs.

dmcwlvssr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
welcome and hello to the gang! I am donna proudly owned by Mischka & Linx

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, Sierra and I welcome you and your tribe to TCS!
That's quite a family you have there!
So glad you've joined us and look forward to getting to know all of you better!
I would be so happy to help you in any way as you learn your way around the site. Please, simply click on my user name and send me a Private Message!

mrsd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS, unicorn and Tribe.
I'd like to see a picture of those long legs on Smudge too...

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello from California & welcome to TCS!
I really enjoyed reading your introduction! It sounds like maybe Smudge has some Manx in her - I have a Manx-mix named Joey & he has the same build, except poor little guy has no tail to speak of, whatsoever. Bless you for taking in the fosters, you are really helping your friend out. I'm impressed with the size of your household, and the size of your heart to love them all- I look forward to hearing more about the Tribe soon, and, hopefully, pics, too!
Susan

Originally Posted by unicorn

Thought it might be nice to introduce myself. I live in Mississippi with my husband, four dogs and five cats. I am also fostering three cats for a friend who is in the hospital for a lengthy stay, so we have cats the way other people have mice right now. The dogs don't seem to know what to think about it - cats buzzing around everywhere they look. I have been a bit overwhelmed myself, lately. I call them the Tribe, collectively. I'll introduce them.
The Tribe

Rufus, a red and white male tabby, has been with us the longest of the cats. He is a good-natured soul who loves to eat and have his head scratched. He has been missing his sister, Shadow, who was killed by a dog last year.
Rudy, also a red and white male tabby, came to us as an adult (and already neutered, what a deal
) from the shipyard in Texas where my husband was working at the time. Rudy is timid around new people, but he loves to sit in the recliner and rock in the evenings. He also loves the lady cats in heat, even if he can't do a thing about it.
JR , short for Jezebel's Revenge, is a grey, semi-longhaired female with just a bit of an attitude. We personally believe that she is a devil sent by a deceased cat we used to own as revenge against the others for harassment (I'll explain that theory a bit more in a later post - trust me, it's odd). She likes to talk and mess with my houseplants.
Then there are the shrimps, as I call them, Dink and Smudge, a brother and sister that I rescued as kittens from the alley behind the newspaper at which I work (there is a rather large colony of feral cats in the alleys and I catch kittens and place them in homes, when I can). Dink is the male, a grey classic tabby with a voice like a bullfrog and crossed eyes. He is a mischief-maker and all around good ole boy. His sister, Smudge, is a strange little girl. Also a classic tabby, she has an unusually short back, a kinked tail, and four of the longest legs I've seen in awhile on a cat. She looks a little like a jackrabbit when she runs. My little sweetheart.
Now for the canine members of the tribe.

Opie is a Carolina Dog mixed with a bit of Chow Chow. For those who don't know, a Carolina Dog is also known as a "yaller dog" or an American Dingo. He is a big clod, handsome, good natured and hard headed, but a clod. He also likes to fight, so we have to be mighty careful about who Opie gets around, as far as other dogs are concerned. He is highly protective of my husband and myself.
Myrtle is a smaller, mixed breed. I suspect she is a cross between a lab and either a beagle or a jack russell terrier. She is very meek and loves people. Likes to bark at cows. I also suspect that she is the one who killed Shadow, but I can't prove it, since I wasn't there.
Khan is a big, red, male chow, who found me one morning as I was running my route for work. We don't know where he came from and only estimate his age at about two. Very good natured, in fact so good natured that he is completely useless as a watchdog - Khan would grin happily while thieves drove up in a van and robbed us blind and probably then ride off into the sunset with them.
The undisputed queen bee of our Tribe is Pandy , short for Pandora. As an abandoned puppy, when we found her, she was in such bad shape that she only had hope left. Now, at ten years of age, she is fat, sassy and keeps everyone else in the Tribe whipped into shape. We think she is a cross between a border collie and a schnauzer.
Must go for now, ya'll, be cool.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

unicorn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks to you all for the lovely welcome.
I hope to get some pictures posted soon, but I need to find out if my ISP allows remote linking from a personal webpage - hopefully so.
We'll soon find out, though, I suppose.
Gosh, you all seem so nice. I am flattered.

jalapeno

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by unicorn

I hope to get some pictures posted soon, but I need to find out if my ISP allows remote linking from a personal webpage - hopefully so.
Hello Unicorn! Welcome to TCS!
Your Tribe sounds lovely, I also couldn't wait to see their pictures! Photobucket does remote linking of pics for free, so you might want to check their website out! Hope this helps!