How to lessen effects of allergies for SIL?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My brother & SIL are coming home the last weekend in July for my grandma's big 85th birthday bash. My SIL is allergic to cats. She also owns one very crabby 14 y/o cat & a 4-6 month old Yorkie. She has no trouble with her cat causing her problems anymore. Tique, the cat, & Willow, the Yorkie, will be coming with them. What I am wondering is, what can I do to lessen the effects of my cats on her allergies? I will for sure have Ophelia, Twitch, & Lily, but maybe Damita & Chico will be here, too. Thankfully, dogs don't bother her.

She told us not to pick up the cats too much near her as that causes excess dander. She always takes Benadryl, & she never complains about her allergies. She's so good about it, I want to help out. I thought about bathing the cats beforehand, does that lessen dander? I wipe them down daily with pre-moistened pet wipes. Are there any good products out there you can suggest? What about brushing them daily(does it help)? I plan on vaccuming really good the day before they arrive & then leaving the windows open to air things out(weather permitting). The cats aren't allowed in the guest room, so she does have a safe haven. Poor Tique, though, will have to spend the time they are here(3-4 days) in the bedroom as she HATES other cats. If all 3 of mine could get along, Tique could live in the basement. Sorry, I'm rambling.

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think as long as she has a safe haven then she should be okay and takes her medicine.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A quick bath about a week before she comes will help too. Zissou gets a bath sometimes (abt once a month) to help my allergies. And a daily brushing. It depends on what about cats she's allergic to, probably their spit. Which is why a bath helps, cause it gets all the buildup off. And vacuuming of course, which I'm sure you'll do anyway as you mentioned.