how to keep 6-7 months old puppy from chasing the cats

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

i just emailed a humane shelter in fargo, we can take care of all of them they get plenty of food maybe little too much. but i decided it best to let some of them go
Thats a great outcome.  If you do a craigslist adoption they should never come to your home, and you should always bring a friend when going to theirs.  If they refuse a home visit immediately refuse to proceed any further. That's a line in the sand.  And before you go over it's important to tell them that there is another person also looking at the cat/s and that you won't be able to make a decision on the spot but will call them first thing the next day.  If it turns out they are a good home, then tell them something like "I've decided that you are really the best home, and I will give my regrets to the other people" and the people that you're doing the home visit with will never complain.  If it turns out you have misgivings about the home you have the perfect excuse to leave with the cat, and you can call them the next day and say "sorry".  ALWAYS insist on a fee.   People who want to re-sell animals or use them for bad purposes never pay fees but they look like GREAT homes, often have kids etc.  Always trust your gut.  Always.

Also, you can agree on a refund clause if you want to if they can't keep the cat after X amount of time, and I would always microchip my cat with you listed as the secondary contact in case your cat gets dumped at a kill shelter etc.

@pinkdagger :-)

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'd also recommend getting some kind of a contract written up just to protect you and the kittens. It doesn't need to be a proper, legal one. You can write it and print out copies yourself.

This should include details of any medical care the kittens have had, including worming and flea treatment. If they've been vaccinated you should hand over the original vaccination certificate but keep a copy yourself. Make sure that the contract shows the kittens have been vaccinated and who paid for this. Also, if the kittens haven't been fixed already, have a line in the contract saying that the new owners will get the kitten spayed or neutered before a certain date and that they will pay for this. I'd also ask for the new owner to agree not to de-claw the kittens and to either return the kitten to you or let you know if they get re-homed again.

Just having some kind of document like that to sign makes sure that you get people who are serious about providing a good home. If they're getting the kitten on a whim they'll think twice about signing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i am not good typing stuff up how do i type one up? any examples?

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
there are few people who want one, i talking to one now, she already have a cat, should i ask her if he ever been around other cats or kittens? she want the black male one, she keep asking where i located i keep telling her i would rather bring kitten to her,  she said kinda have a busy schedule. so i am not sure if  i should refuse proceed any farther 

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
she said his boyfriend or her is always home

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

there are few people who want one, i talking to one now, she already have a cat, should i ask her if he ever been around other cats or kittens? she want the black male one, she keep asking where i located i keep telling her i would rather bring kitten to her,  she said kinda have a busy schedule. so i am not sure if  i should refuse proceed any farther 
You're dealing with trouble if someone says they want one based on color without having met the cat.  Also make sure your cats are fixed before you adopt out.

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
they going to meet the kitten saturday and decide from there. 

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
my dad finally agree chain sam up until he well-trained, also the two kittens is roaming free without me worrying if he bugging them or not