How Much Raw?

2crazykittens

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I want to switch the kittens to raw. They are around 9 months now and so far they do not seem to be too picky with what they will eat.
The Nature's variety brand seems like a good start as it seems to be budget friendly. The kittens eat a wet diet consisting of Friskies. They eat about 3 cans between the two of them currently, so they eat about 9oz  of food each a day. They are a nice weight now and look fantastic.

I am prepared to make the switch because one of the kittens had EGC (I think that is what it is) and was given prednisolone for the last few months at an every other day dosage. The drug has helped him to get rid of the problem, but the drugs will be done this coming Sunday and I am hoping that this issue won't come back.

Since he is showing early symptoms of allergies I thought raw would be the best option for him and the other cat will benefit too.

I am unsure how much of these medallions I should feed both kittens. The NV website says 6oz for a kitten, but that seems like a lot. That is 390 cal a day. I don't even think they eat that much in Friskies. So I am asking anyone who might know what a recommended amount of raw medallions would be for a 9 month old kitten.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
6 oz of raw for a kitten does not sound like a lot to me at all.  I have a 13 lb adult male eating raw, and he eats about 3.75 oz of raw meat (excluding bones) per day.  He's at the very lowest end of the scale as far as how much to eat since he's on a diet, and I add powdered calcium to his meat portion (and liver, etc.), so, naturally, if the ground bones were included, it would weight more. 

So bottom line what the website says seems reasonable to me
, although depending on their breed, they are soon to be adults, so you would want to think about cutting that amount down some fairly soon, but to what depends on how much they weigh and their activity level.