How much raw should I feed?

tylerwaugh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You can easily find menus for feeding cats raw but I haven't found an actual amount to feed or a weight to amount or anything, can someone help? This is one of the things keeping me from changing to raw idk how much to feed

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As with commercial cat foods, how much a cat needs is very individual. For raw, the general guideline is 2-4% of body weight, depending on age, level of activity, etc. Kittens eat more of course; I have heard as much as 9% of current weight. Have you looked at the top of this forum for the stickied threads on helpful resources for raw and cooked cat food? There's a lot of great information there.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How much does your cat eat now? As vball pointed out, the amount to feed is usually determined as a percentage of bodyweight. There are several raw sites with feeding calculators on them: Nature's Variety is one. You can use that feeding calculator to get a rough idea of how much you'd need to feed.

http://www.naturesvariety.com/feedguide

Just choose "Instinct Raw" as the food, and fill in the rest. It will give you a good estimate.

But basically, if you're feeding canned now, just assume it will most likely be less. My larger cats ate one 5.5 ounce can a day. On raw, those same cats eat anywhere from 3.6 ounces of food a day to 4.2 ounces of food a day. Yes, there can be THAT much of a difference. !!!!!

When transitioning, it's best to weigh your cat weekly, and adjust the amount of food you're feeding based on whether kitty is gaining or losing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tylerwaugh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay thanks

Last edited: