How much money/visits you spent on holistic vet when transitioning to raw?

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by koobe

I asked my vet about raw feeding in our first visit. I do not think he is too into the whole nutrition thing. He said "dry food is as nutritious as canned food. You can feed either dry or wet, just pick a brand of canned food you can see yourself stick with. Any big brands will do, like Iams, Science Diet. Cats do not get bored of eating the same thing everything, they get used to it. I think raw feeding is too much work and I am not convinced."

Right now I am feeding dry and wet, and starting feeding Rad cat raw food once a week since last week. I know I will be safe when feeding commercial raw food, but they are expensive. The 8oz Rad cat raw food is $5.99 here plus 9.50% sale tax. I will not be able to afford that in a long term. I eventually will have to look into making my own raw food anyway.
Do they have Bravo! there? $4.75 +tax for a 2lb chub Turkey or Chicken... And that is 100% AAFCO Balanced (it is their new Bravo! Balanced line
) No guessing at all about all the nutritional values and such... Rad Cat is super expensive...

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

D... And that is 100% AAFCO Balanced (it is their new Bravo! Balanced line
) No guessing at all about all the nutritional values and such...
IF your end-game is to reach AAFCO's nutritional profile. For most raw-feeders, it isn't, but I totally understand why you mention them.

(By the way, Carolinalima, I've been meaning to say - that cat in your siggy, Hope, is stunning in the pic on the right.)

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Auntie Crazy

IF you're end-game is to reach AAFCO's nutritional profile. For most raw-feeders, it isn't, but I totally understand why you mention them.

(By the way, Carolinalima, I've been meaning to say - that cat in your siggy, Hope, is stunning in the pic on the right.)
Auntie, as she mentioned, for now mixing on her own is not an option, and Rad Cat will not be financially an option for long either - so I am giving her options. IMHO in her position, as a beginner having a food that is balanced is the safer way to go - AND it happens to be what she is looking for. Again, I am giving her options.
As far as the AAFCO, IMHO it is important to MY cats to get proper nutrition... but if you feel like discussing it, maybe opening another thread? This would be Off Topic.
Thanks for the compliments on Hope, BTY... She has as much personality as beauty!

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

Auntie, as she mentioned, for now mixing on her own is not an option, and Rad Cat will not be financially an option for long either - so I am giving her options. IMHO in her position, as a beginner having a food that is balanced is the safer way to go - AND it happens to be what she is looking for. Again, I am giving her options.
As far as the AAFCO, IMHO it is important to MY cats to get proper nutrition... but if you feel like discussing it, maybe opening another thread? This would be Off Topic.
Thanks for the compliments on Hope, BTY... She has as much personality as beauty!
Oh, I'm not disagreeing with your suggestion at all; in fact, it sounds like it may be exactly what Koobe is looking for. I was just pointing out (for those who weren't aware) that the AAFCO/proper nutrition relationship isn't a universally accepted belief, especially in the raw-feeding world.

(If this is something you're interested in talking about, sure, I could start a thread on it. I'd be happy to, just let me know - I don't want to open a thread that just sits and stares at me. *chuckle*)

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

(If this is something you're interested in talking about, sure, I could start a thread on it. I'd be happy to, just let me know - I don't want to open a thread that just sits and stares at me. *chuckle*)
nope... I am happy with AAFCO
no point in discussing it

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
$0 here as well.

Our regular vet is very disagreeable to our raw feeding but I don't expect much from him.

I make the boys raw myself, did the research myself.

Leslie

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just an FYI from one with years of experience
.. Raw feed animals often have blood test differences .... This is often seen in as little as 2 meals a week... NOT talking with a vet will not give the proper info and you may end up treating for a issue that is truely not one

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will add that I am looking for a vet who will support my raw feeding. I will touch base with the vet I take my turtles to (he see's all animals) soon, he is very up to date on things and I believe he may support me.

Leslie

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jack31

I will add that I am looking for a vet who will support my raw feeding. I will touch base with the vet I take my turtles to (he see's all animals) soon, he is very up to date on things and I believe he may support me.

Leslie
off topic

but that is why I do not have a turtle the only vet is in the next state that would care for them

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

koobe

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

.. Raw feed animals often have blood test differences .... This is often seen in as little as 2 meals a week... NOT talking with a vet will not give the proper info and you may end up treating for a issue that is truely not one
Sharky, that is very informative.
Now I believe I do need a vet with experience of seeing raw diet animals.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by koobe

Originally Posted by sharky

Sharky, that is very informative.
Now I believe I do need a vet with experience of seeing raw diet animals.
Vets are NOT taught about nutrition, but they ARE taught about tests. Any vet who runs a nutrition-sensitive test on an cat WITHOUT asking what kind of nutrition the cat is receiving is giving the cat's owner a substandard quality of care. This goes no matter what diet the cat is on, and is NOT a reason to delay improving the quality of foods we feed our cats.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Vets are NOT taught about nutrition, but they ARE taught about tests. Any vet who runs a nutrition-sensitive test on an cat WITHOUT asking what kind of nutrition the cat is receiving is giving the cat's owner a substandard quality of care. This goes no matter what diet the cat is on, and is NOT a reason to delay improving the quality of foods we feed our cats.
Actually a little of both.. See the vet see a MAJORITY of "healthy" animals and sick ones that eat Normal "cat" food and surprisingly the tests are based on these animals... I AGREE 1000% a vet should ask , HOW did I find this out?? By having a vet ask me when, what and how often ( ie she ALREADY knew but needed specifics )... If you cannot tell your vet what you are feeding , YOU need a NEW vet