How long for antibiotics to kick in?

lotsacats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So, I brought my cat Bandit into the vet again on Friday, as she hasn't been eating due to a cold.
I have been syringe feeding her, and giving her as much Nutri Cal as I can everyday.
The vet gave me some antibiotics for her, which she started on Friday.
But, as of today, she is STILL not eating on her own. She has come very close, but just hasn't done it.
I called the vet today to see if he would give me some of that anti-histamine that makes them hungry, but he said he'd prefer to wait another day or two to see if the antibiotics kick in.
Again, in all aspects, she's fine. Drinking, playing, using the litterbox.....
So, can it really take that long for the antibiotics?

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
In my experience, URI's are more often viral based than bacterial based, which means that antibiotics aren't going to help her cold. A vet will prescribe antibiotics to prevent opportunistic bacterial infections which tend to come when their systems are compromised by the cold.

If she likes canned food, try switching her to a stinky canned formula - something with fish (tuna is good). If you aren't doing so already, bring her in the bathroom with you when you take a steamy shower. You know how your mom would hook up a vaporizor for you when you had a cold? The steam also helps a cat and may prompt her to eat.

Have patience - a cold often just has to run its course. If she gets worse, get her back to the vet but otherwise hang in there!

Good luck!