how long do you stay on kitten formula food

sammie's mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i was wondering how long you kept your kitten on kitten food. If there are any factors for changing and at what time. Like should an indoor kitten get indoor formula, something for hairballs, etc. I feed proplan and i've only found chicken formula for kittens. They have a variety of adult.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kitten food is "designed " for the first year... some will say check the wt at six months and go from there .... I personally think 12-18 months is good esspecially if the kitten is a bigger one....

Pro plan s mostly chn by prodcut or chicken based so a gradual switch shouldnt cause any real problems... Read the labels ... Most indoor foods cover hairballs but often have ingrediants I am not fond off..

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I switched from kitten to adult at 9 months. Mosi was getting chubby on kitten food from about 7 months and was definitely ready to go onto the adult. I only kept him on the kitten as long as I did because I had already stocked up with a lot of kitten food. I think Jaffa went onto kitten food at around the same age. Once their growth starts to slow down (and most moggies have finished their skeletal growth by about 10 months) they no longer need the extra calories that kitten food provides.

apric0t

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mine get put on adult from the day they step foot in my household. Usually because I feed an all life stages food. Or raw.