How long can I leave dehydrated food out (when I add water to it)?

go6car

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi All -

Tried this today: Stella & Chewy's "Chick, Chick, Chicken" freeze dried food. So far, so good (as it is with anything 'new' I put down). We'll see if it stands the old time test, LOL!!  One thing though that I didn't see on their website: How long can I safely leave this food out when it's re-hydrated?

And, I've read that some of you give it to your kitties without re-hydrating it? Do you have better luck that way?? Any issues?

Also (for anyone following my pathetic saga of trying to get my cat to like ANYTHING all that much), I also bought The Honest Kitchen's "Prowl" (also dehydrated), which I haven't tried yet (I figured what the heck since I have nothing to lose at this point with my picky eater!).

Have some other regular cans on mail order too (all chicken) from Andi Brown's Doc Stew and also Great Life Chicken since I haven't tried these either.

Hoping something works here! :)

Thanks!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'd give Stella and Chewy's a call on that questions.  They've got really good customer service! 

I feed mine S & C's mostly UN-rehydrated 'cause that's the way they like it.  I break the little cubes in half and toss them like treats and they love running after them.  I don't feed them too many at once, though, because since mine are on raw, they don't drink much (if any) water, and that worries me since it's still in dehydrated form.  (I discussed this with their customer service and they said it should be ok as long as I'm not service MEALS this way 100%)

Mine HATE The Honest Kitchen stuff.  It's nothing like S & C's.

Good luck with the new canned food.  I've got extreme pickies too!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

go6car

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I definitely will call them. To be safe, I left it out for 1/2  hour this afternoon.

Interesting on not liking the other stuff! I will try that one tomorrow. Hopefully I'll have better luck there! :)

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My cats love the S&C freeze dried products, dog product and cat product alike. You can feed the dog patties too as they contain taurine. I would not leave out the rehydrated freeze dried products for more than 30 minutes. Treat them as you would raw meat when rehydrated. IF you serve them dry, as I do when I have to be gone for a day, you can leave it out all day!!! Better to rehydrate, though. As Sally, I also give them as treats dry at times. Also, the little rehydrated cubes make perfect pill hiders. Once you soak the cube and they become soft, you can easily press a pill inside! :)

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

go6car

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mine HATE The Honest Kitchen stuff.  It's nothing like S & C's.
Ok - my kitty actually made a scrunched up face at the Honest Kitchen food, LOL!!! The only other time I have seen that is when I tried giving her food with duck in it!

She must be eating enough because her weight (and everything else) is good. Ah, cats!