How do you go away???

nljnky

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I need some advise.  I have 5 cats  I have been feeding them raw for almost 2 years.

I never go anywhere over night, and a vacation is out of the question.

I am going away for one night in December.  I don't know how to handle the food situation.

Even if I could get someone here to feed them I don't know how it could work.  They hide when they don't know someone.  I have 3 cat who are speed eaters and 2 who take forever.

Would it be OK to leave freeze dried raw out for them like Stella and Chewy or Instinct?  They like both of those.

What do you all do?  Im afraid the food will spoil if a stranger comes in and That the slow ones won't get any food.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, freeze dried food would work.  For one night, could you separate the slow eaters from the fast eaters, that is, two bedrooms or one bedroom and one garage?  The other option is to feed them right before you leave on your trip, and leave out solid frozen raw food.  (Other posters--is this sanitary/safe?)

I couldn't do this in Ritz' case--she'd eat the food frozen LOL.

And I would not stress too much, one big/small meal won't hurt them.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

nljnky

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your reply.  I think I will just leave out lots of freeze dried.  You are right that one day with big or small meals wont matter.

I just worry too much.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have four cats and a dog. Two fast eaters, one normal eater, one very slow eater-all raw fed. I travel for work about 3 weeks of the month, mon-thursday.
I do have a little semi-final who hides....
The first thing you have to do is establish a routine. Feed them at the same time, but different places.
They learn quickly, you will be surprised.
I prepare all the food, then feed Bugsy in the laundry room, Mac in the guest bathroom, hope in my office and Lucky in my bedroom.... Once I set all their plates I come to the kitchen to feed the dog.
They are used to the routine, so if the sitter is in the house, they know it is food time too, as they have a routine- momma is gone, but the routine has not changed.
She feeds the same foods, at the same times, at the same places.
If one of them hides under the bed, or inside the cat tree in their respective feeding area, it's OK- she just feeds them there.
The best advice I can give you, is establish a strong routine.
Then get someone you REALLY trust to carry it through while you are away.
I leave all the meals bagged into portions so all the sitter has to do is Defrost and serve.
The less you change while you are gone, the better off they will be, the more enjoyable your days will be, IMHO.
Good luck! :wavey:

lilin

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What I have done is just feed her early. Yes, she'll go a few extra hours without food, but that's better than worrying about whether she'll eat spoiled raw food. She is not extremely food motivated, and if she's found a sunny spot before finishing, she can leave it there for hours, so I like to make sure she has finished, and remind her it's there if necessary, before I leave. And a few extra hours ain't gonna hurt anything.

If I was leaving for more than just overnight, I have people who wouldn't mind feeding her.

Last edited: