How BAD is it for a cat to eat dry with a raw diet?

awaiting abyss

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm aware that it is bad. I'm aware that dry food digests at a different rate than whole mice.

However, Soren rushes at the chance to eat dry food. Whenever we put down food for our malamute (dry dog food), Soren rushes over and starts eating with the dog. We usually have to pick him up and hold him until Ruuqo finishes eating (he eats a certain amount in the mornings and evenings). But I also feed Akassa and Mallory dry cat food with canned cat food, since I haven't been able to get them to eat mice yet. We give them one small bowl of dry food a day to share, and Soren will sometimes eat some of that.

Will this harm him? What exactly does it do, upset his tummy?

I can easily keep him from eating dry food now by shutting it off to him. However, once we start letting him roam the house rather than being locked up at night and when we're not home, I won't be able to keep it out of his reach. (Unless of course I can switch Akassa and Mallory over to raw.. then I will stop buying dry cat food altogether).

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know what answers you found, but I think this varies from cat to cat. I believe dry kibble takes longer to digest and for some cats this may be an issue.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

awaiting abyss

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ah, I see. Well he just has bad gas, but he's had that since before he started eating raw.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe the dry doesn't agree with him. You could keep him away from the dry for a while and see.

mcmittens

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am actually very interested to know how bad it really is to mix 3 different types of food (premium dry, wet and raw) for my 8 mth old kitten.
Minion prefers the mixture of wet and raw (I have not gone full raw yet, still working on it) but I usually leave out some dry in a bowl in case he gets hungry while I am at work or still sleeping, since he is still technically a kitten and I was told that kittens need to be free fed. He rarely eats the dry unless there is absolutely no choice.
So far he seems ok, poops at least once a day. His poops looks perfectly formed. What should I lookout for?
Types of raw meat that I have been feeding him - chicken mid wing (cut into small pieces) with skin or breast chunks.
Wet - fussie cat
Dry - wellness core for kitten

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I'm interested now what is so bad about giving some dry food with raw ? :dk:

I can understand its defeating the object of feeding raw but surely it wouldn't be harmful to them :dk: