Hounds And Gatos Canned Cat Food Vs Boreal Canned Cat Food

Ashley&Cats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone,

My 8 month old flame point ragdoll kitten is eating me out of money with some help from his 6 year old tabby cat sister. I'm feeding then Primal frozen raw and hounds and Gatos right now but would like to get some cheaper but still higher quality canned food to off set some of the cost.

I was told by a worker at my local global pet food store that the Boreal is a good choice especially if I go with the bigger sized can since it's more bang for my buck.

I'm wondering if any of you have used it and how did your cats like it?

For the people who are curious about how much I'm spending... Until I find a different solution I'm spending around $250 without tax (which is 15% where I'm at in Canada) on cat food alone. I'm hoping to get it back down to $200 max!

Also suggestions on other high quality but less expensive food is always welcome. Oh and before anyone asks I can't make my own home made cat food and I really don't want to. I also have yet to find another raw food that would be easy for me to dispense like the primal nuggets are. So commercial raw food suggestions are also welcome... Anything to cut costs without going off raw or canned. I will never go back to kibble!!

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure what brands are available in CA but Redbarn makes larger cans and they are decent.Wellness also makes larger cans and they are a bit cheaper than hound and gatos. Theres also Dave's. You can try whole earth farms. Fancy Feast clasics are decent.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
I buy the Evangers chicken and Redbarn beef & chicken 12 oz cans and FF 30 pack. All that for two cats is about $35 a month. And they get a 1/4 cup of kibble into a food toy to round out the calories. Which is so little I buy the 5 lb bag for $20 and it lasts for months. So maybe $40 total a month? 20 for each cat.

Commercial raw is very expensive. Maybe there is someway you can cut back there and save some.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know a lot of people are fans of Hounds and Gatos, my cats were not, and honestly i cant say as i am, i think to little protein and to much fat. I know cats need fat in the diet, but i still like the protein to be more than the fat. I have not tried the Boreal, its not available in my area, but it looks good. I like the numbers on the Boreal as far as protein, fat and carbs better than the hounds and gatos brand. I would definitely give Boreal a try if i could get it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ashley&Cats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Boreal didnt workout well. Kitten loved it my adult cat hated it. We are now using hounds and gatos, weruva cats in the kitchen (favourite and cheapest), RAWZ, Canada fresh.

Yanaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Interesting topic. I wish I could cut back on what I spend for food, too. I've been dreaming of feeding Primal and Fancy Feast, but I think I wouldn't be able to, in my heart. Do you think we overdo it and they would be fine on food that's juuust a teeeeeny tiny bit less fancy? I mean, keeping Primal and adding wet food that's just less fancy than Rawz for instance...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ashley&Cats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would and will never go to something less.....Because I have found nothing that is grain free and half decent for a good price and something that doesn’t cause my cats stool to smell up the whole house (Fancy Feast classic/pate)

To me less (not grain free, full of fillers, etc) is like giving my cats McDonald’s everyday. Eventually you will become unhealthy and if you stink on that path you will become diabetic and full of sickness (this is what happens with my previous cat... before I New that kibble was Bad!)

I also have to say that it’s not a big tole on my to wallet to spend that much money on my cats since I live a debt free life (except for mortgage) and love saving money By using reusable items. Not having to buy paper towels, napkins, personal hygiene products, diapers and wipes, and other things adds up quickly!

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Have you considered Darwin's raw cat food? If you stick with the chicken and turkey, it comes out to about $5/lb. Even if your cats go through a combined 20 lbs a month (I'm assuming your kitten eats a lot), it would come out to $100 plus some for shipping. Their intro offer of 10 lbs for $15 is pretty great too.

I tried them when I first transitioned my cats to raw. It's a little bone heavy, but Saipha and Mishka both liked it. It ended up being too expensive for me in the long run (especially since Mishka was a young kitten with a black hole for a stomach), so I ended up switching to homemade raw. But I still keep some in my freezer as backup if I haven't gotten around to making their food.

Yanaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well I don’t mean McDonald’s, but medium brands like Merrick or even Blue Buffalo. Or Nutro. They’re ok, and they’re under $2/can

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
I also have to say that it’s not a big tole on my to wallet to spend that much money on my cats since I live a debt free life (except for mortgage) and love saving money By using reusable items. Not having to buy paper towels, napkins, personal hygiene products, diapers and wipes, and other things adds up quickly!
Wait back up...:headscratch: How do you not use personal hygiene products? Or paper towels or napkins? But especially personal hygiene products? How do you use reusable items for soap, shampoo, toothpaste, women's products, deodorant, etc.?

And I have student loan debt which takes about half of my income. I can't afford anything over $2/can. My budget is about $50/month on food for two cats. And I buy middle of the road food--Wellness, FF, Weruva, and Chewy accidently sent me Whole Earth Farms, so I have that, plus I tried Evangers, but they didn't like it. Those are all decent imo.