Hot spot(?) on cat's left inner thigh

ImaRobot

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was doing my daily routine with Litto, the recent stray I adopted off the streets in December. She's getting more into playing and recently fell in love with a stick with a shoelace tied to it, and was going to town on it. As she rolled over and had her legs out, I noticed what essentially resembled a Hot Spot on her thigh. Because she was a stray for 5 years before I brought her in this year, I haven't been able to exactly handle her like my 2 boys so I just happened upon this by chance but it was never noticeable before this so I'm thinking it was more recent. The odd thing is I've never really seen her excessively grooming that spot, or going at it as if it's an issue. I was able to hold her down by gently holding the skin on the back of her neck so I can snap some pictures, a lot of her fur actually overlaps it so it was kind of hidden, but I was able to push it outwards for some pictures. As I was inspecting it, she wasnt showing any signs of discomfort or pain as I was moving the fur around, and I even grazed it accidentally, and still nothing so that left me a little more confused.

I'm going to attach the full images for a better look at it. Unfortunately I wont be able to get to the vet this week so it would likely have to be early next week. I'm going to keep monitoring it today and tomorrow and if seemingly starts getting worse I'll force a visit this Friday. However, in the meantime, is there any sort of ointment that I would be able to apply there? Or would not knowing what it actually is make it difficult to understand what ointment I should even use in the first place? Just want to minimalize any discomfort/itching she may be experiencing for now. All that said, she is acting 100% normal and actually more playful than ever.

Things to note: Food changes have been happening since her anal gland issue a few weeks ago as she got a shot that completely minimalized her appetite, so was trying a few different wet foods - Though I did change to a different type of kibble this last week and this is the first I'm noticing it so I'm wondering if its an allergy issue?. I do have an occasional ant problem as the warmth rolls in over the months, but it hasn't cropped up lately. I did have two small bites on my elbow the other day that could have resembled flea bites, or spider bites(though my boys do not have fleas and she was inspected when before I first adopted her.) All things I'll be bringing up when I take her in.

View attachment 20240327_175514.jpg
View attachment 20240327_175501.jpg
View attachment 20240327_175453.jpg

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Does that look like a 'hole' just because the depth of the hair/fur? I'd say to just monitor it rather than try an ointment. You could use chamomile tea, I suppose. Buy chamomile tea bags - you can find them in most any grocery store and generally speaking those are Germain - you don't want English or any flavorings or additives. Brew a bag in water, cool the liquid to room temp and then apply some to that area with a soft cloth or cotton balls. Chamomile tea is a soothing and healing agent, as well as having anti-bacterial/anti-fungal properties. It is safe for your cat to ingest if that should happen.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ImaRobot

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. Does that look like a 'hole' just because the depth of the hair/fur? I'd say to just monitor it rather than try an ointment. You could use chamomile tea, I suppose. Buy chamomile tea bags - you can find them in most any grocery store and generally speaking those are Germain - you don't want English or any flavorings or additives. Brew a bag in water, cool the liquid to room temp and then apply some to that area with a soft cloth or cotton balls. Chamomile tea is a soothing and healing agent, as well as having anti-bacterial/anti-fungal properties. It is safe for your cat to ingest if that should happen.
Yeah its simply the depth of the fur. Her fur is a bit dense but very soft, and a bit longer it seems on her inner legs. There wasn't any open sores or cuts, but it was just the skin with no fur, but it was red. Much like when we over itch an area of our skin. Thanks for the tip, I'll pick up some Chamomile tea bags on my way home from work today.

Fortunately she doesn't seem particularly affected in any way about it, so I'm just at a loss of what it is and how it cropped up so fast. Even the whole night I was watching her after that, she didnt really even seem to go for it.

I'm also surprised how she seemingly stopped in her tracks and let me do whatever I needed to do when I held the skin of her neck gently. My boys don't even respond to me when I do it, yet her being a complete stray, she just sat there and accepted it. She typically will nibble at me if I get into area's she doesn't like, but not when I did this.