Home-cooked meals?

pippin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys, so far I've been feeding my pal a mixture of canned food and dry food. Am thinking of preferably switching him to a diet of home-cooked food, but am totally clueless in that area- what are the pros and cons of home-cooked food? Would it be all right to have a mixture of canned food, dry food and home-cooked food throughout the week? And finally, for those who do cook for their cats, have you noticed a significant difference in health etc?

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed a mix of raw and cooked home-made. As far as I am concerned the only con of a cooked home-made diet is the preparation time and just like with raw home-made food preparation you learn how to do it more efficiently with practice. Cooking reduces the amounts of some nutrients that would stay intact in a raw food but in my opinion that is an overblown concern. There are still plenty of nutrients left and light supplementation will replace what might be missing.

I look at a cooked home-made cat food as having the same advantages over commercial processed canned foods as a home-made human food has over processed foods. That is due to far less processing and fresher, hand selected ingredients the home prepared foods are more nutritious.

As for mixing with other foods you can treat a home cooked food exactly the same way you would a canned food.   

I did not notice any change in my cats after adding some home-cooked food but I was previously feeding a 100% home prepared raw diet. There were certainly changes when I switched to a raw diet. They had more energy primarily. Also my FLUTD kitty no longer needed a prescription diet after the switch to raw. 

Don't forget to take a look at the resources links at the top of the forum. You'll find lots of useful information there including cooked recipes.

Feel free to ask more questions!

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you're accessing the site from your phone, you can't see the "stickied" threads mschauer refers to in her post.

Here are the links. If you want recipes for home cooked, there are links in this thread: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/264153/home-cooked-cat-food-resources

If you're interested in learning about feeding raw, that would be this resource thread: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/264154/raw-feeding-resources

And here is the resource thread with informational links, no matter which style you're interested in: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/263955/helpful-resources-raw-home-cooked-cat-food-forum

I feed my cats raw food. I saw many benefits from the switch: more moisture, so more pee (healthy for the bladder); much lower volume of stool with NO odor; incredibly silky, soft fur; more energy; I have a lot of cats in a small space, and they're happier (I know that sounds funny, but we feel better when we eat healthy food: I think they're really less cranky because they feel better. They're certainly more tolerant of each other). Oh - it costs me a lot less than the canned foods I was feeding them. I would expect you'd see roughly the same benefits with home-cooked. :dk:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pippin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks guys!