Holland lost a tooth

mystik spiral

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was out running a couple of errands today and when I got home I saw something on my carpet, I went and picked it up and it was a tooth! I didn't see any blood or anything, although Holland has been kind of pawing at her mouth for a couple of weeks, like something we might do if we had something stuck in a tooth or something (that's the only way I can think to describe it). Several times I tried to check her mouth when she was pawing at it, but she would not tolerate me touching her face. I didn't think too much of it, because that's just how she is, she doesn't like to be touched on face or paws.

Anyway, so now I'm thinking maybe it was that tooth that was bothering her. She seems to be eating OK, and she hasn't given me any indication that she's in pain, but then again she's not a complainer. She rarely makes a peep. She still won't let me check her mouth though.

I am going to call her vet tomorrow - she's due for her annual checkup anyway - but I thought I'd check and see if anyone else has had this happen. She's not even two years old yet, so I'm hoping I'm not going to have a lifetime of dental problems on my hands. I can't afford anything major right now...

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pepper lost a fang tooth biting Scooter on the butt. I showed it to the vet and he said the root of the tooth just did not form correctly, and had nothing to anchor it in the gum. It has never been any problem, and it gives her a cute little crooked smile.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by krazy kat2

Pepper lost a fang tooth biting Scooter on the butt.

Make sure the vet thoroughly checks Holland's mouth, and for other possible illness. She'll probably at least need antibiotics.

I'm really kicking myself in the butt tonight - Kinker, who used to be my grandmother's cat but was taken in by my dad and his wife after she went into nursing care, pulled a tooth out a little over a month ago. I begged them to take him to the vet - I couldn't as I have enough of my own to pay for and had a medical bill to take care of. They never did. Today my stepsister called me - she paid to take him in because he was getting worse. Turns out he had a tumor in his mouth and had to be euthanized today.
He was 12, though. I chose to leave him with people he knew and trusted instead of taking him years ago...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mystik spiral

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww, I'm sorry to hear about Kinker.

I've got an appointment tomorrow afternoon for Holland. I'll make sure the vet checks her mouth. She's still acting completely normal, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this won't be anything major...

holliwilliams

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My newly found cat we named sassy we took her in , also has a broken fang tooth, we dont know much about her we have a vet apt, she is pregnant poor little one, i need advice on that too if you know anything possibly would you check out my question it is posted in streys