Holiday Cookies

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Winchester Winchester I made the chocolate cherry blossom cookies today.

Holiday Cookies_2022-12_chocolate cherry.jpg
O.K. for first time.

First tweaks - I refrigerated the dough for 4 hours before scooping, rolling, coating with granulated sugar. Candied cherries were cut in half.

Next time - next year? - I'll add espresso powder to the dry ingredients when mixing the dough.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I refrigerated the dough for 4 hours before scooping,
my peanut butter cookie dough was refrigerated yesterday, per the recipe (since more than half the time I ignore this which is to say nearly all the time), but heck, they spread anyway LoL

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't make cutout cookies. Had an idea yesterday. It's like this. I do have a recipe for chocolate coated fruitcake balls, where fruitcake is crumbled, shaped into balls, chilled with a toothpick stabbed in and then dipped in chocolate.

What if, I thought to myself, I sliced a fruitcake, cut out circles and glazed them, then crumbled the leftover bits to make chocolate coated fruitcake balls. A two-fer, right!

Except I could not find circular cookie cutters, I mean, come on, we're in the run-up to Christmas and there are no cookie cutters in the local stores?

Then Himself, brilliant fellow that he is, said "What about a cat food can?" Perfect! One has been very well washed, label removed, and will be pressed (pun intentional) into service today. Himself will get tuna fish for lunch so I have a choice of sizes. That can will need a very thorough scrubbing.

Any comments?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Now, Winchester Winchester - about snickerdoodles. I have a question and you are, as we all know, the snickerdoodle queen. Or at least you are the expert person who we know of, who bakes them.

I was looking up cream of tartar and the article included this statement:

" Why is cream of tartar in snickerdoodle cookies?

"It's what separates a tangy, chewy snickerdoodle from an ordinary cinnamon-coated sugar cookie. The acid in cream of tartar gives snickerdoodles their distinctive tangy flavor, and the chew happens because cream of tartar prevents sugar in the cookie dough from crystalizing into crunchiness."

The recipe has butter AND shortening, sugar, eggs, vanilla, flour, cream of tartar AND baking soda. Plus sugar and cinnamon to roll the dough balls in before baking.

Sound about right?
C catapault I am way late to the party, but my recipe (from Betty Crocker) uses two teaspoons of cream of tartar. It also uses half shortening and half butter. baking soda, salt, cream of tartar. And the eggs, sugar, and flour. So yes, your recipe sounds right to me. A snick is a wee bit tangy and does have a bit of a chew. It puffs up in the oven, but then will flatten back out again. Rick loves his snicks. His favorite cookie by far.

BTW, your chocolate cookies with the cherries look decadent! And I love your cat food can idea!!

Usually when a recipe calls for a package of cookie dough, sugar cookies, for example, I use my recipe for drop sugar cookies, roll it into balls, and put them into my greased muffin cups. Use a larger wooden spoon handle to make the imprint in the cups, and then do it again after they come out of the oven. Let them cool and fill them. My mom used to make pecan tassies and she had a wooden tamper to make the indentations in the muffin cups. I have the tamper....somewhere. I looked all over the place for that thing and couldn't find it. I'll find it after Christmas.

My BIL loves pistachio anything. So at every family gathering, my sister brought pistachio pudding; I think it was Jell-O brand, but not sure. I never ate it as pistachio is not among my favorites. But he loved the stuff.