Himalayan? Breed check!

windycitymom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is my old cat, Smokey.  I'm sorry the pictures aren't that great.  He was over 10 years old in these pictures- we found him on a loading dock and never found his owner.  He has since passed away (2007) but had always wondered what breed he may have been.

He had beautiful blue eyes and a very deep voice. He had white front paws, but brown front legs.

http://s83.photobucket.com/albums/j299/pololo-y-polola/12-13-06/?action=view&current=IMG_2986.jpg

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v721/meganmcdermott/?action=view&current=litaymokey.jpg

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, without papers, he's a beautiful mitted seal point domestic longhair, or moggie.

However, by resemblance he looks like a Ragdoll.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Right.

Besides, Himalayan is a point-coloured Persian, no?

IS he fairly big as compared to your other cat, or is this other one a kitten?

With this rather protruding nose he is no persian, not even old time persian (persian did had some nose 100, yes even 50, years ago!).

So whatever he is, he is not Himalayan..   Oldtime langhaired Siamese?  A rare combination...

The modern langhaired siameses aka the Balinese, are usually not so dark in their point "masque".

I suppose "a look alike a Ragdoll" is as good a guess as something else, if you feel you want to compare this lovely cat with some breed.  Esp the second picture shows quite some Ragdoll alike.

And ragdolls can be quite big some of them.

Good luck!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

windycitymom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks!  Yeah, in the first one he had become quite sickly.. he was going blind and deaf :( And much of his coat had fallen out, and he lost weight.

The second pic is more accurate- the kitty on the left was a 1yo female, quite average in size. 

I've just always wondered about him.  He was well taken care of when we found him, but could not find an owner.  I'm just glad we were able to take him in and be a good home for him for the few years until he passed.