High egg prices send profits at largest US producer soaring more than 700%

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
When Mom's birds stop or greatly slow laying in the cold weather, I have to buy eggs occasionally. My favorite brand was up to about 8 bucks a dozen. There comes a time when inflation turns into greed...

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I suspect a lot of our current inflation is driven by corporate greed - so many industries/companies have had record profits.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
They found avian flu in a bobcat, deer and a mountain lion near here recently. My organic growing local farmer who contributes to a CSA says trying to support your local farmer helps stop the spread tremendously. But, not everybody has access to local produce. Still, I think nature is sending out warning signals here, tho I could be wrong.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I suspect a lot of our current inflation is driven by corporate greed - so many industries/companies have had record profits.
And sadly, it's trickling down. We had to raise prices to keep up with the rising costs of operation. A lot of Mom and Pop shops are having a hard time competing. It's sad, and scary.
I liked a particular brand of de-shedding shampoo/solution (NOT furminator) I used at work, and the price shot up to almost $150 PER GALLON. Nope. Not paying it, not passing it onto the customer.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I noticed yesterday that the price has come down some on eggs. I don't buy them very often, I don't care for them to eat and I rarely bake anymore. I bought a half dozen yesterday and that was a $1.99, the last time they were $2.44. I don't think they ever got as high here as they did in some places.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That makes it even more interesting, since if there was a true shortage you would think it would be nation wide, except for backyard chickens, wouldn't you?

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That makes it even more interesting, since if there was a true shortage you would think it would be nation wide, except for backyard chickens, wouldn't you?
Those were my thoughts.
Mom stopped washing the eggs, as it increases their shelf life by at least a month. I've known chicken farmers who don't wash OR refrigerate eggs and they last forever. If you buy from someone with backyard chickens, ask if the eggs are washed or chilled so you can get a better idea how long they'll last. You can also freeze eggs. They're not great for eating once thawed, but are fine for baking.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I saw a couple on the news who are renting chickens out to people so they can get eggs that way. Of course most towns have zoning regulations against farm animals. I also wonder how many of those chickens were cared for properly. Not so much from people deciding they don't want to deal with it, they can always just return them but from not knowing how.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Still better than being trapped in a factory farm.