High calorie cat food options?

sarah87

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all my senior cat 15 is losing weight ,we're currently having investigations with the vet to find out why. In the meantime to try mitigate the weight loss I was wondering if there was such a thing a higher calorie food options? He's eating and drinking without issue and is perfectly happy other than the weight loss

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. You could try getting the A/D food from the vet that is high in calories. It is often used to help cats recover from an illness so they can gain back weight, but you could try it until such time your vet runs tests to identify the cause. Hyperthyroidism is the first thing that comes to mind and a T-4 test, which is not part of the standard blood work, would confirm or rule that out.

1705783579456.png

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarah87

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. You could try getting the A/D food from the vet that is high in calories. It is often used to help cats recover from an illness so they can gain back weight, but you could try it until such time your vet runs tests to identify the cause. Hyperthyroidism is the first thing that comes to mind and a T-4 test, which is not part of the standard blood work, would confirm or rule that out.

View attachment 468475
Hi he's had.full blood work done everything is perfect apart from his alt being very elevated suggesting something to do with his liver. Just on the process of booking an ultrasound scan to determine what is going on. Thanks I will speak to them about that food x

Kasper111

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all my senior cat 15 is losing weight ,we're currently having investigations with the vet to find out why. In the meantime to try mitigate the weight loss I was wondering if there was such a thing a higher calorie food options? He's eating and drinking without issue and is perfectly happy other than the weight loss
My cat also sometimes got low appetite and lose weight becus of some unavoidable stress reason. What i do is give him royal canine gastrointestinal dry food. It's highly digestible and nutrious. My other cat with several kidney problems also accepted to eat it.

But you should ask your vet first if this food is okay for your cat.

sarah87

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I will talk to them tomorrow and see if there is a best option to use just while investigations are on going. I can't believe the cost of a scan I £750 . It's going to be £1000 before we know what's going on 😞

Kasper111

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I will talk to them tomorrow and see if there is a best option to use just while investigations are on going. I can't believe the cost of a scan I £750 . It's going to be £1000 before we know what's going on 😞
Yeah i hate it when the do unnecessary thing. Im in UAE and the government vet is a whole lot cheaper. Try asking your vet if chemistry blood is is better than scanning, in fact chemistry blood test can see if your senior cat have stage 1 kidney disease or other age related problems. Try to see if your area have some government clinic. My government clinic do blood test at the cost of 150 dirham, while the private clinic cost 350 dhs minimum.

Also since he's old, im assuming he urinates a lot and drink lesser water. As cat ages his intestine can't absorb vitamins B complexes. Urinates too much will lose the water soluble vitamins B complexes. And what vitamin B complexes is for? It's for appetite, utilising energy and digestion! Ask your vet if injecting him with vitamin B complex will help. It helped my cat and now every 2 weeks he needs to be injected with it or his appetite will go down. Oral vitamins B supplements is useless as you cat can't absorb it. So injection is way better.

sarah87

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Iv already had his full blood work done the only abnormality is his lft is very high hense why the vet is recommending scanning. He is insured I just hope the vet will allow me to make a direct claim as the excess and 20% co payment isn't cheap

Kasper111

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Iv already had his full blood work done the only abnormality is his lft is very high hense why the vet is recommending scanning. He is insured I just hope the vet will allow me to make a direct claim as the excess and 20% co payment isn't cheap
Oh okay. If im in your side ill directly go talk to the manager or owner and explain to them my situation about the financial. I did it and got huge discounts 😊. But it's hard to find the head of the vet. Sad to hear it. Hope you get good discount.

sarah87

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'll give that a try it's worth asking can't do any harm . Thanks for your input

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Last edited: