Henry was diagnosed with bladder stones today - how can they be prevented?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Molly and Abby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Surgery was successful and Henry is doing much better. I wanted to share some photos from the last 2 weeks.

He was an absolute angel about wearing the "Collar of Shame". And vet prescribed the urinary care prescription food (canned and dry & I add water to the dry). I am still waiting for the results of the type of bladder stone and bladder tissue biopsy.

Thank you everyone.

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Molly and Abby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, poor kitty.
If you want him to lose weight, don’t feed him the dry.
Henry has actually lost three pounds by feeding him dry cat food. It was the "free feeding" that caused him to gain a lot of weight.

Once I eliminated the free feeding, fed him only twice a day (12 hours apart) and measured the amount of food he got for his idle weight, he started losing a 1/4 lb a month. He's been losing at a slow and steady rate - simply by ending the free-feeding and strictly measuring the amount of food he got.

Henry had no control and would eat whatever food was available. By eliminating the free feeding has made a big difference.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you for updating us. Fiona was a very chunky little girl at the time of her surgery and looked much like Henry after her belly was shaved. Here is to a good recovery for him!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Henry has actually lost three pounds by feeding him dry cat food. It was the "free feeding" that caused him to gain a lot of weight.

Once I eliminated the free feeding, fed him only twice a day (12 hours apart) and measured the amount of food he got for his idle weight, he started losing a 1/4 lb a month. He's been losing at a slow and steady rate - simply by ending the free-feeding and strictly measuring the amount of food he got.

Henry had no control and would eat whatever food was available. By eliminating the free feeding has made a big difference.
Then it's going smoothly and no need to worry.

I had very good luck with Purina urinary and my cats. (Wet and dry)