Help With Cat Food

holderem

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am wondering of anyone here has ideas for cat food that might work. My cat has absorption issues, so I did a sensitivity test for her because the few culprits I knew were not all of it. She is highly reactive to soy, chicken, beef, rice, folic acid. Are there any foods out there that are free from all of these? I was already avoiding soy which is challenging enough. It would be an extra bonus to find something low phosphorus. She is older, and my other young cat I adopted with ckd.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Try searching for novel protein foods and check to see what their contents are.

Since you are dealing with at least one cat with CKD, do you use Tanya's website as a reference point for 'all things CKD'? Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Everything You Need to Know to Help Your Cat (felinecrf.org). It is comprehensive, but extremely helpful in caring for these cats. This site also has a listing of lower phosphorus foods that you could research for ingredient content as well. Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease- Canned Food Data USA (felinecrf.org)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

holderem

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Try searching for novel protein foods and check to see what their contents are.

Since you are dealing with at least one cat with CKD, do you use Tanya's website as a reference point for 'all things CKD'? Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Everything You Need to Know to Help Your Cat (felinecrf.org). It is comprehensive, but extremely helpful in caring for these cats. This site also has a listing of lower phosphorus foods that you could research for ingredient content as well. Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease- Canned Food Data USA (felinecrf.org)
Yes, to Tanya's site. That, and this site helped me so much to keep my first ckd cat alive for a long time :). Novel proteins, thank you. The folic acid is what has me lost!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yeah, I am not sure what to make of a folic acid reaction. Is her folate level high? Is her cobalamin (B12) low? Those are usually tested via a TLI blood test - not part of the standard blood work. There is a correlation in some cases with a high folate and a low cobalamin level, due to the way the intestinal tract processes these enzymes. I have heard that a high folate level could be caused by SIBO (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth) and/or EPI (exocrine pancreatic insufficiency). Has your vet ever mentioned these?

Last edited: