Help needed to find out about breed of my cat

Sadia Atique

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,

I am new to having a cat, I got a kitten when she was very young, about 1 month age. She is a stray, so I cannot tell her breed for sure. But when I have to register microchip or migrate abroad to another country, there are forms where I have to fill up places about the breed of my cat. In registering microchip, I have to give names of breeds that looks closer to her. All I can tell is she is domestic short hair, mostly white, has orange and black patterns on heard and tail, and orange circle spot on back. She is about 9 months, weights about 2.5 kg, length 18 inches. As I have very no experience about breeds, I cannot tell what breeds she resembles. Can someone please help me figure this out, as to which breeds she might resembles most?

Here are her pictures, if this helps,

Any kind of help or suggestion is appreciated :)

View media item 335725

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Your description is correct.  This pattern of spots and white is called for Harlequin.   Technically, she is a calico with harlequin pattern, I think this is a fair description.

As she IS three-colored.

And the likeliness to a breed?  The body reminds of body of  an old type siamese or old type oriental. These breeds are near related, but siameses are more common. Siameses are points, orientals are often solid colors, but other combinations are allowed.

Perhaps a near ancestor is a siamese tom whom mated with a calico - mom.

Could easily give this resultat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sadia Atique

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks a lot for your help :)

The place from where I picked her up, it was my university campus, there I saw some calico cats, so the mother could easily be a calico. But I never saw any Seamese cat around, I am from Bangladesh, here Seamese cats are kind of rare, might be decedent, but it's likely that not a direct parent was Seamese. Also, I saw a tom cat, who was mostly white with some solid black shapes on the body.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Thanks a lot for your help :)

The place from where I picked her up, it was my university campus, there I saw some calico cats, so the mother could easily be a calico. But I never saw any Seamese cat around, I am from Bangladesh, here Seamese cats are kind of rare, might be decedent, but it's likely that not a direct parent was Seamese. Also, I saw a tom cat, who was mostly white with some solid black shapes on the body.
How are the common cats there looking?  If many are slender and somewhat prolonged muzzle - say your suspected tom, we dont need to seek any more after any siamese ancestor.  :)    

But you can mention it if you want or need to describe.  "local domestic breed, the looks may be compared to a mix of a modern siamese with a calico harlequin patterned domestic.

Siameses being rare is no sure proof,  a purebred siamese would be probably held as mainly indoors cat.  But if he sometimes manages to sneak out, feeling females in heat nearby - and voilá - we do get our mixes.... :)

But a black and white tom is also a fully possible father, esp if he is slender with a somewhat prolonged muzzle, as said.

I mean, its perhaps common looks and common coloration?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sadia Atique

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In that area alone, I found 4 types of coloring

one type is calico

one is mostly white with some black shapes,mainly on head and tail

one is mostly black with some solid white shapes

and lastly, the coloring of my kitten.

and all of them has almost same body/face shapes, slender body, some has a bit light green colored eye, and others has yellow colored, like my kitten.

Apart from these, tabby cat with brown/gray color and striped black pattern is fairly common in my Country. Some tortie type colored cats and full black cats are also seen, but they are a bit uncommon. Another common type is mostly gray with blackish stripe in between on the back and upper head, and full white in the belly,neck and legs. And so far all I have seen is short hair, slender figure.

These are the pictures of white and calico of the university campus.The white cat has a full black tail. I hope I was able to draw a picture of the most common types of cats here.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ok, so we dont need to look for any siamese forefather nor foremother.   She is a quite typical for the local natural breed, and the black and white tom probably the father.

(Although, unless you are very strickt with neutering as long you manage, there are surely more toms, and thus, more possible fathers.)

I suppose if someone bothered to count, describe and register them cats at your place, and purebreed them some, there would soon be a Bangladesh cat renown in the whole world.

The Aegean cat (from the sea outside Graecia) do have similiar coloration, but they are more sturdy, not as slender.  THEY are counted as an established local natural breed, and are even accepted by some associations.

As its now, we can perhaps say they are of the old oriental type.  Hey,  Its perhaps no coincidence the breed is called for Oriental -  they do come from the "Orient" = Eastern countries counted from Europe.

Siameses are much more common than orientals, that is mainly why I proposed a siamese.  Also, the modern breeds of siamese and oriental are near akin.

Her looks are of course Orientalish.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Thanks again for your time. I liked the idea of registering local breed :)

But don't oriental cats have distinct triangular face and large ears? It doesn't match here though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oriental_Shorthair
Yes, todays modern Orientals of Show quality do have it.  But they werent as extreme back when they began to be popular, 40 years ago or such.

At this time, they were pretty much copies of your little furry friend.