Help, My Two Cats Are Pooping On The Floor And Not In Their Box

superpunchy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,
I have two cats that I take care of that live with me (i.e. they're not really mine). They both have started pooping on the floor and not in their litter box like they have been up until now. They both still seem to pee in the litter box though. I've been changing their litter as usual but it doesn't really seem to matter as they go on the floor anyway. Also, I've changed the kind of litter used several times, so I don't know if that triggered this or not. Any help you could provide would be appreciated.
Thank you

WaltS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
First question. Were the cats housemates before you got them or do they have separate owners? If separate owners, introduce a second box. Cats can be territorial about the box.

It could be they don't like the litter. I'd go back to what you were using before this started if you haven't already. Also, the second box may not be a bad idea even if they're housemates.

General rule of thumb. One box per cat. Clean it daily. If nothing else, think about them crawling in a dirty box then coming to you for affection. The cleaner the box, the cleaner the cat.

Good luck!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
In fact, even better than one box per cat is one box per cat PLUS ONE. And don't have them all in one place, scatter them out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

superpunchy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay, thanks for the suggestions on this. I'll give them a try!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Let us know how it goes! If that doesn't work, we'll put our heads together again!