HELP! my kitten is nursing on other kittens! ewww!

chowderlad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hello everyone, i'm new here and i have a major problem i could use some help with. this is my second time fostering newborns, and in my current litter of 4, the runt of the group repeatedly tries nursing on the other kittens in the litter after feeding time. i have tried separating it for a short period when i see this behavior occuring, but the second i put it back with the others it goes right back to trying to nurse on them again. i also tried spraying the kittens' bottoms with YUCK! no chew spray, but that doesn't help either. sadly, i have resigned to separating the offending kitten from the rest of the litter, where it meows nonstop until it falls asleep. i have no choice though because not only is this behavior disgusting and unhealthy for the kitten, but it disrupts the victimized kittens sleep as well. i don't want to have to separate the kittens until they can use a litter box on their own so i was wondering if someone had another solution i might be able to try to get the kitten to stop nursing on his brothers and sister. thanks!

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi,

Sorry that you view this as disgusting, because it is pretty common for some kittens to do this. The worse thing you can do is separate the kitten, please keep him with his family. You can substitute a stuffed animal inbetween the suckling episodes, or simply pick the little one up carefully cradle him and bottle feed him until he has been satisfied. You can also gently pat vinegar on the parts of the kitten that are being suckled, if it is the private parts, don't get any on the opening of the penis. But please do not separate this poor kitten, feed it extra food search the forum for the recipe Kitten Glop and add some pet vitamins to the formula.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kitten Glop

8 ounces water
1 package unflavored Knox gelatin
8 ounces whole evaporated milk
2 eggs yolks (raw)
2 tablespoons high calorie mayonnaise
2 tablespoons high calorie plain yogurt
1 teaspoon Karo syrup
Liquid pet vitamins
1 capsule acidolphilus
1 drop grapefruit seed extract

Dissolve gelatin in boiling water. Mix gelatin and water with the rest of the ingredients. stir well and refrigerate. Glop will solidify in the :censor::censor::censor::censor:, scoop out what you need, and warm to room temperature, or nuke (seconds only) in microwave without it becoming too hot. Fill bottle and feed the little one, while it is on it's belly not it's back.

G

ghostuser

Hi, Chowderlad,

We have always been told that this is much like a young child using a pacifier, and with our kitties it has not been uncommon with the smallest/less mature kitten. Don't panic. In the case of our kitties they have always grown out of it and we have never seen it to be harmful.

cazx01

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yes alot of the time very young kittens like to suckle on other things if they havnt got there mother around

sweets

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't had alot of kittens around, but it seems to me that if the kitten is suckling AFTER feeding, it is still hungry! Instead of seperating it from the other kittens, try supplimenting the feeding or helping the kitten get to a nipple longer than its brothers/sisters.
This is a hungry kitten without the social mores and views we have been taught.

catfolks

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just a thought, my Tigs was removed from his mom at a very early age, due to her death, he is almost a year old and he still will "comfort nurse" any of my Himmies that will let him.......so removing them from their families can do even more permanent damage. We don't find it disgusting though, and I'm terribly sorry that you do, its just a fact of cat nature around here!

cilla

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This little kitten needs extra care and love, please do not separate him from the rest, he is doing nothing at all disgusting, he sounds adorable. I would definitely get a stuffed animal. I have seen some very good look/feel alikes in pet shops. Good luck.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chowderlad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
sorry for offending everyone with the disgusting comment, i have only been fostering cats for about 8 months now and have never had this be such a major problem. thanks for all your ideas! i wouldn't be so bothered by this behavior, it's just that i'm worried about the health effects this may have(the kitten being the runt by about 2 oz's compared to the rest). also, i have read on some kitten care websites that it is worse to overfeed than to underfeed so i'm very careful about giving each kitten the exact amount of formula they should be consuming every day. i will try out your suggestions though and hope they work!

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Chowder-
I don't think you really offended anyone with a disgusting comment, I think everyone was concerned about the poor baby being kept away from the rest of the kitties as "punishment" for his actions. It is just a newborn afterall

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree that you did not offend anyone. My concern was for the kitten, I know the first time I saw a runt sucking on his brother's private parts, it took me by surprise. But usually it stops when the kitten is supplemented by an extra feeding. Just be sure to stimulate it so it burps and also poops and overfeeding shouldn't be a problem. Place the kitten on your shoulder after feeding, and gently gently gently tap it until it burps. Then stimulate it, or give it to mom to stimulate so it poops and pees.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My orphaned litter did the same for a long time - long after they were weaned. It didn't happen after feeding, but when they were sleepy after play and just wanted some extra comforting that we humans just couldn't give properly. Agree with all of the above suggestions - if it is the runt it is probably not getting enough food. I talked to my vet about it and his recommendation was to look for excessive swelling and/or redness around the genital area as this could be a sign of infection - this is when you should worry. This is quite normal behavior in kittens, particularly orphans and runts.

And btw....once in a great while we still catch Koko suckling on Muddy - they just turned a year old last month. Brothers Jake and Elwood (adopted out to friends) still do the same once in a while. I wonder if they will ever totally outgrow it.

feralwhisperer

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When my 6 year old was a kitten she would try nursing off my 15 year old male cat. Her sister still sucks her own nibble. They both seem to do this after a meal when trying to take a catnap. If it is not causing an irritation to the other kitten I wouldn't worry. When the kitten the is being nursed from is ready he/she will stop it.