Help me please!

ChandlerS

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just watched pet fooled, which I highly encourage every good mom and dad to watch for their four-legged little ones health… And of course straight away I go to the store and start buying whole raw food and I have gone back four different times to return everything, so Charlie my little girl is not interested in any of it Not any of it… I don’t understand this freeze dried stuff it’s gross she won’t touch it with or without water so I need your help. Mom and dad’s! Charlie will be 10 this month. She has been on a diet of Purina pro plan for wet, Hills science diet for dry and greenies for treats , what can I do to transition her? Also, what would be a good birthday gift, food wise?

Attachments

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats can be stubborn about their food. Once they habituate on a certain food it can be quite difficult to get them to eat anything else.

Try mixing a tiny bit of the new food with the old food and, gradually, mixing in more, a little at a time.

Does your cat like Churu treats or anything like that?

You can squeeze out a bit of Churu on top of the cat's new food to entice them to eat.

If you want to give her a birthday present, Churu might be the thing. Our cat, Elliot, loves them!

Purina Pro and Hill's Science are both good brands. Every dog or cat I have ever had, for the last fifty years, since I was a little kid, has eaten Purina Dog Chow or Cat Chow and there has never been any issue due to the food. There was only one time, way back, when I was about ten years old when the food got moldy because somebody left the lid off the food barrel which let it get wet and moldy. Our dogs started throwing up because of the moldy food. It wasn't Purina's fault. It was ours but, when we threw out the moldy food and started feeding them clean food, all problems cleared up within a day or two. Never a problem, since.

Charlie is a nice looking cat! :) If she's a stubborn eater and you can't get her to switch foods, there's nothing wrong with the food you've been feeding her.

Our cat, Casper, is a stubborn eater, too. He eats Purina and won't eat anything else.
He was an abandoned cat and the rescue people we adopted him from used Meow Mix to lure him in. (Meow Mix is basically junk food for cats!) Our vet told us that, when abandoned cats find a safe source of food, they are hard to switch. It took us a couple-three months to transition him to Purina Cat Chow.

If you want to feed Charlie a new food, certainly go ahead but do it gradually and give her more time to adjust.

Once she gets onto her new food, she'll probably be just as stubborn! ;)

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
When I converted mine over to raw, you'd have thought I was trying to poison them all! It took me months and months to do it, and it was very painstaking, but worth it in the end. It was a very slow process, slower for some of them then others. What I did was start with frozen nutritionally complete food, and when a little of it was thawed I would make tiny little meatballs and roll each and every one in crushed treats. That got them started. Ever so slowly I could increase the amount of meatballs and lessen the amount of crushed treats. Then I would have to start the process all over again whenever I introduced a new protein. As I said, exhausting, but once you do it, you're set. And some cats take to it quicker than others. I had one hold out who happens to be my pickiest eater. He finally came around though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ChandlerS

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cats can be stubborn about their food. Once they habituate on a certain food it can be quite difficult to get them to eat anything else.

Try mixing a tiny bit of the new food with the old food and, gradually, mixing in more, a little at a time.

Does your cat like Churu treats or anything like that?

You can squeeze out a bit of Churu on top of the cat's new food to entice them to eat.

If you want to give her a birthday present, Churu might be the thing. Our cat, Elliot, loves them!

Purina Pro and Hill's Science are both good brands. Every dog or cat I have ever had, for the last fifty years, since I was a little kid, has eaten Purina Dog Chow or Cat Chow and there has never been any issue due to the food. There was only one time, way back, when I was about ten years old when the food got moldy because somebody left the lid off the food barrel which let it get wet and moldy. Our dogs started throwing up because of the moldy food. It wasn't Purina's fault. It was ours but, when we threw out the moldy food and started feeding them clean food, all problems cleared up within a day or two. Never a problem, since.

Charlie is a nice looking cat! :) If she's a stubborn eater and you can't get her to switch foods, there's nothing wrong with the food you've been feeding her.

Our cat, Casper, is a stubborn eater, too. He eats Purina and won't eat anything else.
He was an abandoned cat and the rescue people we adopted him from used Meow Mix to lure him in. (Meow Mix is basically junk food for cats!) Our vet told us that, when abandoned cats find a safe source of food, they are hard to switch. It took us a couple-three months to transition him to Purina Cat Chow.

If you want to feed Charlie a new food, certainly go ahead but do it gradually and give her more time to adjust.

Once she gets onto her new food, she'll probably be just as stubborn! ;)
Number one I cannot believe this thoughtful response! My mind is blown. Thank you so very much. Number two… Yes, she loves churu and she does not even equate it to the veterinarian, which is where I first came upon it. I am going to do just what you said I am going to go buy one can of raw food wet and put some of that on top and see what happens! she has no aversion to the dry food which I’m very happy about because after reading all the ingredients in hills, there’s just no comparison to that of ORIJEN. And thank you for the compliments. Of course I had nothing to do with it, but I’ll say thank you nonetheless 😻 so if you had to select a raw food wet food, would ORIJEN your choice or something else?
again, thank you so much for the thoughtful response and all of your suggestions and opinion.
God bless you.
Chandler.