Help! I Need Recipe For 'cherry Chips'!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I make cherry mash bars every year for Christmas and can't find 'cherry chips' ( like chocolate chips but cherry flavored) Last year I couldn't either and a lady at Walmart told me to make my own. The problem is I can't remember how, almond bark or white chocolate chips, vanilla or almond extract, etc, I can't believe I can't find it on the internet! Does anyone know how? Amazon has them for like 15.00, ridiculous!

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I make cherry mash bars every year for Christmas and can't find 'cherry chips' ( like chocolate chips but cherry flavored) Last year I couldn't either and a lady at Walmart told me to make my own. The problem is I can't remember how, almond bark or white chocolate chips, vanilla or almond extract, etc, I can't believe I can't find it on the internet! Does anyone know how? Amazon has them for like 15.00, ridiculous!
you're right that it's not easy to find a recipe for making cherry chips! i did find one review at allrecipes dot com, in which the poster could not find cherry baking chips -- the review was for a Cherry Mash Bars recipe . she used 5 drops cherry candy flavoring (she found that at a local craft store), white chocolate baking chips, and made it pink colored by using some red food coloring.

here's the recipe that has that review -- Cherry Mash Bars Recipe and it was the review by 'jh' dated November 25, 2005, that gave that 'fix' for cherry baking chips.

do you have a Michael's store near you? they may have cherry candy flavoring, their website does -- LorAnn Oils Cherry Flavor, Twin Pack, but i'd call to check if they have it in-store before going there. amazon should also have it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for replying, perfect! I found some chips on Amazon, but at 17.00 a bag?!!!! So it IS just white baking chips, cherry extract and red food coloring, thanks again! This is a family favorite, I HAVE to make it every year. I am also making homemade salted nut rolls.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
you're welcome! :)

oh, i wouldn't have bought the $17 cherry baking chips from amazon either. to me, that falls into the category of, 'they've (amazon) lost their mind'.

oh my! homemade salted nut rolls too!!! :cloud9:

Happy Holidays to you and yours!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
You know, I wonder if you could substitute cherry-flavored Craisins or something like that for your chips? I've never even heard of cherry chips and certainly wouldn't pay that for them!

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Look at Walmart in the baking aisle! ;) I just bought a bag of cherry chips there and we’re going to make that candy. :) I hope it’s good because we’re doing it instead of peppermint bark but you can make peppermint bark anytime of year. :)