Help! Cat Problems (Vomiting, Rough Patch On Skin)

cassieclovis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
6504BBA8-A067-44BD-A162-0E4BD58920C0.jpeg
Hello,

I have a 9 month old cat. Her name is beans. She’s a real cutie and a calico. I got her for free online a month ago ish and only recently got her shots. She gets spayed in a week or so. I also had to get her on antibiotics (from vet) for diahreah.

Beans has recently been vomiting a lot- But the thing is her vomit is kinda like one big clump of half chewed food. Undigested. Is there any reason for this? Is she sick or just eating too fast?
She eats PURINA KittenChow. Fancy Feast Wet food once in a while.

How much should she be eating (Wet/Dry food both)?

Lastly, She has this rough patch of skin on her. Is this normal?

I’m so scared I am low income and the vet is expensive. If needed, I will take her. But if I am just being dramatic let me know.

Thank you!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Dry food a cat is more likely to gobble up fast then throw up. I have never fed my cats dry but I spread the food in pieces. Hard to do with dry food.also needs it for moisture. Fancy feast classics is a good starter. My cats love the turkey&giblets

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Vomiting a lot is not good, so you may need to see the vet. How often is she vomiting? Every day, every meal, weekly? It sounds like regurgitation of the dry food, and I do agree that trying wet food would be a good move. Can will have amounts suggested to feed according to the age or weight of the cat.

Is she to be spayed at a vet's or at a spay/neuter only facility? If it is at the vet's bring up the vomiting to them when you see them next week.

The pic is not really large enough.

Skin Conditions In Cats – TheCatSite Articles
How to Deal with Ringworm in Cats [Inc. the Housecleaning Regime] – TheCatSite Articles

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If she is vomiting within say 15 minutes of eating, then it's probably regurgitation versus vomiting and the reason could be either eating too much at once or eating too fast. I have a cat who inhales his food and if I allow that, he regurgitates often. To stop that behavior, I use a slow feeder bowl, and also raise it up by putting in on a box. If you don't want to invest in a slow feeder bowl, you can put clean golf balls, or anything of that size in the bowl right along with the food so they have to eat around them. Just be sure to wash whatever you use along with the bowl after each meal. (regurgitation looks like undigested food because that's exactly what it is - it doesn't stay in their tummies long enough for the digestion process to really start)

Many cats have issues with certain ingredients in cat food that doesn't really need to be there. Some of those ingredients are wheat, corn, soy. Some cats also have issues with fish and even chicken, or dairy.

Since Beans is still considered a kitten, right now she shouldn't be limited in the amount she eats. But very soon, a couple months, she will be considered an adult, and then her calories will need to monitored, but we can't tell you how much to feed her because calories are based on how active she is and how much she ways. Normally adult cats eat around 20 - 25 calories per pound of ideal weight for them per day. So if her ideal weight is 10 pounds, she would eat around 250 calories per day if she is active. When you take her in for her spay, the Vet may be about to tell you what her adult size should be based on where she is now.

That dry spot looks like it's on the back of her neck. Did you happen to apply any flea treatment there? I can't really see it very well, bt just wondered if it might be that. Have the Vet look at it when she gets her spay unless other spots appears. Then she really should be seen in case it's something that might spread quickly (like ringworm)