Help- Cat lethargic and not eating after Doxycycline (Antibiotic) & Gabapentin (for sedation)

dianabanana

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all,

My cat is 14 y/o with CKD. Stage 2. I have been very stubborn and have refused gabapentin for a while due to any unnecessary strain on his kidenys- until recently when he had to get his eye checked out and I had no choice. I ended up going to an ER Hospital because I couldn't get an appointment sooner than a month away no matter how many places I called including is new vet. First time failed and they couldn't get him to cooperate enough, too much time had passed by the time we were seen. So they gave me liquid gabapentin & prescribed it at a higher dose. I believe he ended up with almost 100mg one day between the am and night, and close to that second day for his am appointment. I was desperate to get his eye seen so went against my gut he seemed ok within 2 days of gabapentin and I was relieved.

They sent us home with doxycycline (liquid compound) and steroid drops even though we weren't sure yet if it was bacterial. He was seen Saturday 2/13 but I decided to start doxy on Sunday to give his body a break from the gabapentin. Everything was fine until Thursday/Friday he became very lethargic, scared of me, hiding, and won't eat, and was excessively thirsty for a coupe nights. It is now Sunday night (technically Monday midnight 2/22) Ive spoken to the doctor who saw his eye a few times and she thinks I can wait and see how he is tomorrow she thinks if he doesn't get better it may be something underlying. but this was a cat who maintained weight, activity, appetite, etc. His kidney levels are same as they were 2 years I give him kidney support supplements and lots of water with his wet food- he was happy and active and showed no signs of anything not even discomfort with his eye. Since gabapentin and doxy he has done a complete 180. I don't know what to do and if this is normal with antibiotics? His labs came back negative for bacterial tests they did. His full panel labs and blood count came back completely normal with the exception of elevated kidney stuff which we already knew about. His eye is mostly cleared up but there is still something there as of rn I am not sure if it is a tumor or was bacterial. (His next appointment is for the 26th for his eye). His last dose of doxy was on Friday 2/19 1/2 a dose at noon.

I am worried about not bringing him to an ER or urgent care but I doubt he will be cooperative without gabapentin and I don't want to give him any more drugs incase his kideys are crashing. Any advice? He is licking some food for a few seconds before going a way, but he does sniff his food and seems to want it but must get nauseas or something. Pls share if you have had any similar experiences with antibiotics, especially CKD cats with doxy. I have been a mess and am sick with worry :(

Other info:
No weight loss- just weighed him
I have been trying to syringe feed him but it isn't too successful but I have been able to get a couple of those liquid treat pouches (10 cals each)
I gave him some nutrical today but for the most part he refused it
He is willingly accepting water syringed drop by drop on his tounge
He is urinating as normal and has pooped (slightly watery 3x small amounts) since being sick starting Friday

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Most antibiotics can play havoc on a cat's digestive tract, including stomach upset. I would think you should be seeing any issues with the doxy starting to subside since he has been off of them for a couple of days now. Antibiotics can also cause some loose stool as well.

I would try to get him to start eating again. Perhaps, try one or more of the following:
  • Baby food meats – Gerber Stage 2 or Beechnut
  • Canned tuna (or chicken) in water
  • Salmon
  • Sardines (make sure there are no bones)
  • Chicken or turkey
  • Rich kitten food
  • Fish, tuna or BBQ flavored canned wet food
  • Kentucky Fried Chicken - or an equivalent
Hoping to hear that you think he is doing a bit better now!