Help! Cat just pooped on new leather sofa!

marlagx470

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Help! Our one year old cat Tiger Lilly just finished pooping on our new leather sofa! When she was a kitten, she did this many times on our other leather sofa (which we still have) and the vet thought that it was because she was spayed so young at the animal shelter. We moved into a new home in April and she has been fine and hasn't done anything except for today when I caught her doing it on the brand new leather sofa!

Any advice would be appreciated. The litterbox was totally clean at the time

lakeriedog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Definitely take her to the vet to see if everything is ok with her health, but maybe she doesn't like the smell of the leather?

A few years ago I purchased a leather recliner, and within fifteen minutes my dear departed Sonny began scratching the left side of it with a vengeance. Sonny was not a furniture scratcher prior to that point, and was about ten years old at the time. After he scratched the recliner he jumped up and took a nap on it. We couldn't get him to leave the recliner alone, and he was always sitting on it. Even though we scolded him he scratched a six by eight inch section of it completely off, and would get sulky and squawck about being moved whenever a human wanted to sit on the recliner.

We believed that Sonny was just marking and claiming the recliner as his very own, but I think the poo would be the opposite? I sure hope that you can get her to stop.

maherwoman

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Some things that should help...

Sometimes kitties get very finicky about exactly how their litterbox is set up, and where. Sounds like that's the problem here.

Our boy, Hobbes, did the same thing, and it turned out he wanted one litterbox to poop in and one to pee in, he didn't like hooded litterboxes, and he liked it pristinely clean. I found a couple websites that helped me understand exactly what it was that I could try that would help, and it really did. One good thing is the fact that he's now outgrown his pickiness about wanting two and wanting them in such perfect condition, now that he's about a year old! Hopefully yours will do the same!

Here are a couple websites that should help:

http://www.larimerhumane.org/services/litterboxinfo.cfm

http://www.thepetprofessor.com/secA...es_and_cats.asp

http://www.heartlandhumane.org/pub/petcare_litterbox

A couple tips:

Cats don't usually like the plastic liners some people use in litterboxes.

Some cats don't like the hooded boxes.

Cats at times don't like the box to be anywhere that they also have to eat and drink.

Sometimes the problem is just that the box isn't somewhere private enough. They only like to "go" somewhere that is low-traffic, quiet, and very private.

Hope all that helps!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by marlagx470

Help! Our one year old cat Tiger Lilly just finished pooping on our new leather sofa! When she was a kitten, she did this many times on our other leather sofa (which we still have) and the vet thought that it was because she was spayed so young at the animal shelter. We moved into a new home in April and she has been fine and hasn't done anything except for today when I caught her doing it on the brand new leather sofa!

Any advice would be appreciated. The litterbox was totally clean at the time
Oh, oh, looks like you're going to have to get rid of the sofa!