Hello I was hoping someone can help me figure out what kind of cats I have

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Do you have more photos of them separate and full body pictures? 

From what is provided the breed would be Domestic Short Hair (DSH) on one and I am think Domestic Medium Hair (DMH) on the other. Medium hair though is debatable and some people feel there is only short hair and long hair. The coloration on both is bicolor, which means a cat with white and another coloring in this case grey (typically called blue in cats). Although the lighting could be playing tricks with me and they may be closer to black. 

Someone else may give more guesses to possible ancestry with better photos to go off of. From what I can see though there isn't a specific breed that I can think they are close to and they are most likely your standard domestic cat of undetermined breed. 

The problem with cat breeds is that most of the cat population are simply called Domestic (coat length) Hair or you can go with Moggy as a slang term, which is similar to Mutt in the dog world. They are mixes of whatever cats happened to cross each others paths. The purebred cats typically came from specific coloration, body characteristics and behavioral traits that arise naturally in regions due to the local cats keeping within a refined geographic area. Meaning that many purebred cats are not far off from what would be considered a moggy and the main defining characteristic comes down to a paper saying they are purebred. Some of the older breeds are more defined or exaggerated from naturally occurring but even then most cat breeding hasn't gotten to the point dog breeding where by any relation to a specific breed is well defined and difficult to find outside the breed. Persians would likely be the exception to that statement.

Since most cat purebreds have been refined from a naturally occurring mutation (think Muchkin legs) or for a specific characteristic (think Russian Blue green eyes) or personality trends (think Ragdoll friendliness) those traits or similar can still occur naturally outside that breed. All of this means that it is difficult to say for sure what purebred a cat may be related to and that having a specific look or trait doesn't necessarily mean they are from a specific breed.  It doesn't mean it isn't fun to take guesses or figure it out, it just means that even guesses can't be taken as hard fact without documentation to back them up. 

Last edited: