HCM - Opting not to medicate?

cyclesarah

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone!

Yes, it has been a while for me...

In any case, a little back story...I had two brothers, Maddie and Riley. Maddie was diagnosed with HCM in the fall of 2006. We had him on treatment (Atenolol) and ultrasounds every 3-4 months. Sadly, he passed away almost one year (Nov 2007) later after going into respiratory failure late one night.

Now we still have his brother Riley, who we have had getting annual ultrasounds since the death of his brother, with no problems. However, after witnessing him suffering from a fit (the same his brother experienced) I took him to the cardiologist on Dec 2 where a ultrasound was done and he was diagnosed with HCM. The Vet decided on a 1/4 aspirin every 3rd day and 1/4 of a 90mg Dilzem every day. Ever since starting the medication, Riley has been listless, losing weight and has had no appetite. We are simply watching him waste away. To make things worse, pilling him every night has become so stressful on him (the opposite of what we are going for). He is NOT food motivated...I have tried it all...pill pockets, food doh, tuna, regular treats, homemade goodies...he will not take a pill hidden in food so we must pill him. The meds are also making him vomit.

To make a long story short, the vet has given him about a year to live. I want to make the last little bit I have with him have quality, rather than a stressful situation where we are simply prolonging the inevitable. We have not been able to pill him for two days, and in those two days he is so much more brighter eyed, almost playful, eating, no vomiting...so I am beginning to think that maybe we should just take him off the meds and allow him to enjoy his little bit of time left? I have ordered his Dilzem in a liquid form from a compound pharmacy in the states, so I am waiting to get that...I am hoping he has a better reaction to taking that rather than pilling him... He has a follow up scan at the end of next month to see if the treatment has been working...and I am thinking that if there has been no progress (or a slowdown of the growth of his heart) that I might just take him off the meds and allow him to enjoy the last bit of quality of life he has. It is not a money issue or a time issue...it is simply my heart breaking as I watch him lose his zest for life and just fade away on me, and I know what is coming because his brother went through the same thing.

Has anyone else made the choice not to medicate? I want to make the right decision here, but feel guilty both ways. I am really praying that the new meds do not give him such bad side effects and are easier to give to him (less stressful)...but if not I am trying to decide on what is best for him, and if it is wrong of me not to medicate when we have such little time left...

Anybody else have any experience either way?

Thanks

Sarah

mystik spiral

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have any experience with what you're going through, and that is really hard... I'm so sorry.

If he has so little time left, I'd be inclined to do what makes him feel best. If his meds are making him listless but will help him to live longer, that doesn't really seem like a fair trade-off.

I don't know much about HCM, but from what I understand there isn't a cure. IMO, your focus now should be to give him the best quality of life for the time that he has.

I'm so, so sorry that you and your little one are going through this...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cyclesarah

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you, Mystic and Mews

Having been off the meds he is so much more cheerful today and is actually eating...no vomiting (which was just bile, anyways) To see the difference in him is amazing and really makes me question continuing on with treatment.

Mews: If you could ask some of the Sphinx breeders for me that would be wonderful. Just to get another prespective.

Mystic - yes, you are right, there is no cure for HCM, only treatment to try and keep heart failure and respiratory failure at bay (as well as embolisms). Thank you so much for your kind thoughts. We have 4 cats and I love them all, but Riley is my original baby and the kitty most bonded to me. After having gone through this all with his brother I have to say it is my worst fear for him.

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi there Sarah.

I don't have any experience in this at all, but I did want to say that I am SO sorry for what you and your precious baby are going through.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, Sarah! It's good to see you back, but not under these circumstances. I wonder if your vet would be willing to prescribe another medication, since the Dilzem doesn't seem to be helping Riley?

Jamie has also been diagnosed with moderate to severe HCM, and my vets (one a cardiologist) have him on 2.5 mg. of Fortekor Flavour a day. When I was researching HCM, I came across a lot of cats with HCM in Germany being treated with it. Jamie has been more energetic on it, and he takes the pill right out of my hand. It must taste good, as he reminds me when it's time for his yummy pill.

It would probably be worthwhile asking your vet whether it could help Riley.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cyclesarah

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the good vibes, Kailie!

Tricia - thank you for the info and the PM. I am waiting to hear back from Riley's German vet to see if we can't get his meds switched. Wish us luck!

~S