Has Anyone Used A Sound Machine For Sleeping?

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've ordered one because I've had so much trouble sleeping. If you've used one, did it make a difference for you?

I also suffer from tinnitus and would love to be able to drown it out without music.

Last edited:

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband has one - he loves it. I sleep so hard that I don't even hear it. He also has tinnitus from Menniers disease (sorry about the spelling). He likes the ones that don't do jungle or water sounds though, just sounds more like a fan blowing.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
My oldest daughter has one and loves it. She uses it to drown out the upstairs neighbors who move furniture and dust bust at all hours of the night. :rolleyes:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have a smartphone you can download a white noise app.

I prefer a fan, to move the air around too, but of course you can't turn the volume up on a fan! So a white noise machine (or app) works better if you need it louder. If I go on vacation and forget to bring a small fan with me I download one of the apps and use that. I do need some kind of noise or I can't sleep.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My husband likes to sleep with a room ionizer on. It helps his sinuses, but I think he likes the noise of it too.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I bought one when I went through a period of insomnia. I loved the ocean sound. It was very soothing and helped me relax and get to sleep. Good luck--I hope it helps you. :)

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've used both the apps and some recordings I made from YouTube, in particular one of a purring cat (there are several of these available on YouTube) and one of Dan Gibson's "Dawn by a Gentle Stream." The other thing I've used are audio books which I've downloaded from librivox.org. The Wind in the Willows is a marvelous book to go to sleep to, for instance, very relaxing. I put the individual chapters in a play list and set my player to repeat the same chapter over and over. If I'm still awake when it starts repeating I tell it to go to the next chapter; if I'm not then when I wake up I know exactly where I stopped. But it works best with books you've actually read, because you're not wondering what comes next. And all of these are free.

Margret

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can't stand noise when I sleep. It actually gives me a headache and makes my tinnitus worse. But I used a white noise CD when my son was a baby to help him sleep. I found it on itunes and burned a cd. It was great because we could take the CD player with us when we traveled.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It came today, but I can't use it until I get batteries. Two of the sounds are brook and rain, which I've always found calming.

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It takes four AAs. I thought I had a box, but they turned out to be AAAs.

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got batteries, and it sounds pretty good. One thing has always confused me, though-do people really find white noise soothing?

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have trouble sleeping too and I tried some apps on my phone but they didn't make much of a difference. I find lavender cream and other ointments more effective.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I got batteries, and it sounds pretty good. One thing has always confused me, though-do people really find white noise soothing?
From what I understand white noise is like a fan. A fan does help me.

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess it works, because I fell asleep easily. Too bad I forgot to take a hyperactive kitten into account :flail:

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have a smartphone you can download a white noise app.
This is the noise I have in my head 24/7. My neurologist thought I had a brain tumor, but as my best friend said "it can't be, it needs something to feed off of". lol

I have a kitten purring in my ear all night which helps the sound.

Max's Human

MAX
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My mom has one that has traveled more than most humans. Sbe had AWFUL sleep patterns and refuses to get addicted to medications and she claims witbout her ocean tides machine she will merely nap off and on for days .

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have one called Sleep Sound. It's electric and makes a swooshing sound that can be adjusted between soft and loud, and high or low. I like it better than using a fan, which dries out your sinuses.

Kreatorcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a portable DVD player and run commentary tracks so it sounds like people talking in the next room. I have to have sound on to drown out the tinnitus. Loud guitars,jet aircraft and a nagging ex-wife ruined my hearing.