Has anyone tried feeding Cavy/Guinea Pig (Cavia porcellus) from Hare Today, Gone Tomorrow

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi All,

As the title states, I am considering getting some Cavies to add to the rotation of whole prey.  Has anyone tried these? If so, I have two questions. One, did the cats like them? Two, did you happen to get them from Hare Today, Gone Tomorrow?

One, of my two children, have Cavies as pets. Well, he has four. Two males and two females. I had gotten, a pair of Cavies, to breed. Along with the mice, rats, quail and rabbits I breed for live food. Well, my son, just loved the Cavies and babies, so, they now live in his room and he cares for them.

So, if, I want to add Cavies to my domestic and hybrid cats diet, I will need to order them pre-killed. Anyway, all you experts, please, look at this link and tell me what you think: https://www.hare-today.com/index.php?cPath=23_53

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never tried whole prey of any kind. . .but if your cats will eat rabbits, I think they'll most likely eat cavies too.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think you're the only active poster on here feeding whole prey to your kitties! I did just order some quail, and some ground cavie...

numystic

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I did just order some quail, and some ground cavie...
Please report back here and let us know what you thought of the ground cavies! I'm placing an order myself and came looking for experiences  since I've never heard it discussed before. (and don't feel like being the… guinea pig. heh, couldn't resist. )

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Any idea why Hare Today (?) stopped offering ground MICE?  The only thing I heard was it smelled really bad.  I'm always looking for a protein Ritz hasn't tried (she likes everything, from goat to venison to rabbit to beef... unfortunately :) )

I've been feeding Ritz frankenprey for over a year, haven't reached the point yet about feeding whole prey.  Knowing Ritz, if she saw a mouse (live or dead), she'd run away, scared.  Though she is fascinated with her first 'boyfriend', Charlie the Chipmunk.  (I said absolutely NO when she wanted to make nice with the baby fox....)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any idea why Hare Today (?) stopped offering ground MICE?  The only thing I heard was it smelled really bad.

Sorry, I am not sure. Since, I raise my own live food, which, consists of: Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Quail, and seven day old chicks.
I think you're the only active poster on here feeding whole prey to your kitties!
I

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cat won't touch guinea pigs or any whole prey other than mice.  My ferrets seem to enjoy them although I do gut them first to save myself a mess.  I had bought mine from rodent pro although I'm no longer ordering from them.  I haven't fed them in awhile as hare-todays are too expensive for me. 

numystic

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I'm not sure I'll ever do the whole prey thing. I'm specifically looking for feedback on the newly added whole ground cavies that Hare Today is offering now. 

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cindy, I think the whole ground mouse is offered when she has mice available .... and I suspect it'll be the same with the guinea pigs. They'll probably come and go.

Paula, the quail I bought are whole. They didn't like ground quail much. I will probably just cut them up into bite sized pieces other than for Chumley and Tuxedo, the only two that seem to know what to do with meals with bones in them....

I'll be offerinig the ground guinea pig tonight. I'd forgotten to dethaw anything for their late night meal, and I'd forgotten the HT order was arriving today. I drove up front after dark to pick up the package (that was delivered earlier this afternoon :lol3: ), and unloaded it into the freezer (which is outside) by flashlight. :lol3: I kept out the ground cavie, which is dethawing now. I'll let you know! I did feed them ground mice. Spooky and Chumley loved it. No one else really liked it, and I think I couldn't get Lazlo to finish it even with a LOT of enticements added. Spooky has an on-again / off-again relationship with PMR, so I'm always looking for whole ground stuff to add into her rotation. I cant' feed her just ground rabbit, goat and pork. Thankfully she likes the mouse (when it's available) and the llama... so I'm hoping she'll like this since ground mouse hasn't been available for a while.

Last edited:

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have some Llama (ground from HT) in the freezer, I'll give it to Ritz maybe for Christmas.

A friend at work gives me (free) venison, which Ritz loves.  My nephew hunts when he has time, and has given me some of last year's bounty.

The cat colony get any heavy bones with meat (turkey legs, goat).  "BMW" especially likes raw.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OK mixed reviews on the guinea pig. :lol3: BUT - overall a bigger hit than the mouse! For mouse, 2 of the 8 liked it. For cavy, 6 of the 8 liked it. It had a lot of fur in it. :lol3: It wasn't as dry as mouse, but when they all kind of sat there looking at their dishes, I went around and added a little water to it, so it was a bit mushier - and then most of them ate it. Lazlo hated it, and I couldn't find a topper to get him to eat more than his first bite. Spooky ate about half of it, and decided that was enough.

So... not sure what to do going forward. I really wanted it to broaden the stuff in rotation for Spooky. :lol3:

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK mixed reviews on the guinea pig.
BUT - overall a bigger hit than the mouse! For mouse, 2 of the 8 liked it. For cavy, 6 of the 8 liked it. It had a lot of fur in it.
It wasn't as dry as mouse, but when they all kind of sat there looking at their dishes, I went around and added a little water to it, so it was a bit mushier - and then most of them ate it. Lazlo hated it, and I couldn't find a topper to get him to eat more than his first bite. Spooky ate about half of it, and decided that was enough.
So... not sure what to do going forward. I really wanted it to broaden the stuff in rotation for Spooky.
I am sure, Loki, the Savannah will like it. Shadow, the DSH will love it too. They have very similar tastes
. Panda, my DLH, loves anything Loki eats, so, she is good
. Momma cat, one never knows. However, it sounds good to me, from, your description above
. Thank you again
Yeah, I'm not sure I'll ever do the whole prey thing.
Most people can't. I do whole live prey. But, that is cause, I am used to it. I have kept and bred various reptiles and amphibians. Along with, soft billed birds. Which require whole live prey. Plus, I have two indoor/outdoor DSH's, that, where great hunters on there own. Having the completely indoor F3 Savannah, that is just crazy as can be, I needed an outlet for his energy. Plus, most commercial foods, gave him extreme GI upset. However, whole prey, that is alive, gave him an outlet for his energy. Plus, along with Evo dry, have done wonders, for, his GI tract
. Even my completely indoor (by her own choosing), DLH, loves whole live prey. She, is so prissy it is unreal, regarding, most other things! But, even she LOVES it.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Glad this topic came up, 'cause I saw it when I did my last order, and almost asked the question myself.  But then I came to my senses and remembered my pickies don't even like rabbit, so figured "why bother"? 

That being said, Laurie, if it's not a BIG hit with yours, mine would probably like it

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad this topic came up, 'cause I saw it when I did my last order, and almost asked the question myself.  But then I came to my senses and remembered my pickies don't even like rabbit, so figured "why bother"? 

That being said, Laurie, if it's not a BIG hit with yours, mine would probably like it
Okay, in general, my Savannah and domestics are NOT that picky. At least, the F3 Savannah and the two "normal" and healthy DSH's aren't. The terminally ill, DLH. is very picky. But, I ALLOW it. I make sure, she EATS something. While, I have NEVER been like that, with, the other three.

Anyway, I got five whole, pre-killed  Cavia porcellus. The F3 Savannah and best hunter DSH, took over twenty minute's of playing with the food, to finally eat it. But, once, they started to eat it, they both consumed one each. My oldest DSH, ate half. My terminally ill DLH ate half as well. So, all in all, I would say it was a hit.