Harry Potter!!!

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have read the article. I still don't see what all the uproar is about. These stories are fantasy stories. I consider myself a parent raising 2 children with strong moral and spiritual beliefs. Perhaps the key is the fear that some children will not be able to distinguish the fantasy element here. I beleive these books help children to explore their won imaginations, a skill foreign to many children these days, as they are force-fed everything to think by television and video games.

My 12-year-old daughter avoided the Harry Potter series for a year because she was intimidated by the length of the novels. Once she finally began to read, she devoured all 4. My kids don't see the characters as "witches" first and foremost. They see the traits the characters portray, the human traits they wish to emulate and respect. Beneath the fantasy setting are characters that set excellent examples for kids as students and friends.

The children I teach wander home after school and watch Jerry Springer. That is what they think real life is all about, and that the things they see on tv depict appropriate ways to handle situations.

I think every adult condemning the series should read it before passing judgement and think back to his own childhood, complete with wishes for a fairy godmother or a magic carpet.

dawnt91

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm going to try to remember what I wrote in my post that I lost. I really, really hate it when that happens!

First and foremost, even though I don't agree with the HP books, that doesn't mean that I look down on those that read them or go to the movie. Every one has a right to their own opinion, and being able to voice that opinion is one of the great things about our country.

As most of you know, I'm a fairly conservative Christian. That means I have a certain belief system that I try to follow as I live my life and as I raise my kids. I believe the Bible as the God's own Word, and I try to live what it teaches. (I usually don't do that good of a job, it's really hard.
) The Bible teaches that witchcraft, divination, sorcery, etc. are abhorent to God. I believe that the HP books promote witchcraft simply because of the setting and characters in the book. Harry is going to a school to learn to be a wizard; witchcraft is the predominant setting in the book. Because of this, I believe that God does not want his people reading this type of material.

As for children, I don't think that 10 - 13 year old Christian children are strong enough in their faith to read these books without the danger of being influenced by them. That's not saying that all kids are going to run out and become witches because of these books. What I'm saying is there are some children who read the book, are really wowed with the magic aspect of it, and want to find out more (and I know the magic in the book is not "real" magic, but that rarely matters to children). I think that this interest may open the door to more non-Christian things in their life, such as Ouiji boards and tarot cards. I mean, even at Target, you can buy a HP game that has the kids practicing pretend spells. At the very least, books like this desensitize our kids to the occult.

Another reason I would not let my kids read these books (thankfully they can't read yet) if they were older is simply because I don't want to have to explain to Christ why I did. I don't relish the thought of explaining to God why I let my children read things that I know are abhorent to Him.

I realize that the HP books teach children some good values and show a type of "good" over "evil." I just feel that there are plenty of other books out there that accomplish the same thing without the aspects I disagree with.

I don't agree in book banning. So don't lump me in with that crowd. I would protest if my children were having to read these in the public schools as part of the curriculum, but I don't have a problem with them being in the school libraries. I don't think the movie should be banned either. There are a lot of movies out there I wouldn't watch, but I don't think they should be banned, and this is no different.

I know I'm the only one of this board with these opinions, but that's ok. Each parent has the right to decide how to raise their kids. I'm raising mine in the conservative Christian faith, and these books don't mix with my faith. But that is not saying that I think any less of those parents who do let their kids read them. This is a difficult topic, one that even my husband and I don't really agree on. So I understand that people that I don't even know won't agree with me. But that's ok, I know it's not a popular opinion.

Melissa, I'm sorry that topics that have to do with religion frustrate you. I have a hard time sometimes because I don't separate my faith from my daily life. My opinions on things stem from my beleifs nine times out of ten. But I do hope I've presented my view about the HP books in a way that doesn't offend you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

buttercup429

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
everyone on this site acts so "Grown-up" about issues like this. I can't tell you how afraid I was that I would come back and find out everyone hated me after my wiccan post and instead I find some of you even know what it really is, WOW. I guess I'm just so used to being on the defense. Being called a "satanist babykiller" way to many times. I live in a very small town. Can you beleive someone spread a rumor I sacrifice cats? Shows how much people get to know you before they start rumores. Dawn91 I completely respect your opinion you are holding true to your faith and I respect that. Any person of any religion should respect you firm moral comitment!

melissa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dawn

You certainly didn't offend me in the least, and it wasn't my intention to offend you. I read the article you posted a link to, and my anger was focused at that, not you personally. I've had some very bad experiences with professing Christians in my area and it still stings. Thats not to mean I'm lumping you in with them, I fully respect your point of view and I'm sure you're doing a wonderful job raising your children. I think its great when a person has a religious belief and is willing to stand by it at any cost. I just tend to get a little raw around the edges when the subject of religion is broached. My apologies

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think that to encourage kids to read HP, you encourage them to dream & imagine. Life is very dull without those 2 things.

I want to note that I feel that the Wiccan religion is very misunderstood. People hear the term "witch" & automatically fear. What can be wrong with a group that has many strong environmentalists. The Wiccan I know are peaceful & seemed to have stores of acient wisdom shining from them.

melissa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My best friend is Wiccan. Shes the gentlest soul I know. She is very wise as well, beyond her years. I find Wicca very interesting, personally, but I don't pratice because its a huge committment and I'm not ready to make it yet.

illusion

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I admire Dawn for taking such a proactive stance in what her kids are exposed to, while I don't necessarily agree with her views of Harry Potter. But so many parents just let their kids watch TV or see movies or read things without even caring what the content is. Then these kids see toys or food on commercials and the parents run blindly out and buy these things for their children not really caring about what the toy is or if the food in nutritional, they just want to make sure their kids keep up with the Jonses, or maybe it's just to keep them pacified and out of their hair? I don't know... My mom works with a younger gal who was bragging about buying her 2-year-old daughter a TV and a VCR for her bedroom! What business does a 2-year-old have with a TV and a VCR all her own?

airprincess

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Harry Potter film: invitation to join occult?
Reuters
Nov 16 2001 8:06PM

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Flying motorcycles and lightning bolts and dragon eggs and phoenix feathers may be keeping some people out of movie houses this weekend.
Not everyone likes bubble, bubble, toil and trouble, and some wish they could swing a magic wand and make the new kid flick "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" disappear like magic.

Early estimates indicate the much-awaited film based on literature's most famous boy wizard was poised to break box office records on both sides of the Atlantic as it opened on Friday. By most accounts the movie, based on stories by J.K. Rowling, is a healthy fantasy about good versus evil that could prompt meaningful discussions between children and their parents.

While the film has also prompted criticism among some witches for improperly depicting correct broomstick riding technique (bristles must be pointed forward not backward) real life believers in paganism and witchcraft are pleased with the film's positive depiction of witches and believe it could raise their much-maligned profile.

But the film is also prompting criticism, especially in some conservative Christian circles, which believe the tale of a young boy's exploits at the Hogwarts School of Wizardry and Witchcraft might lure children into the occult world.

On Friday a middle school in Fargo, North Dakota, canceled a field trip to see the film after parents complained about the movie's depiction of witchcraft. In Memphis, Tennessee, at least two Catholic schools said they were keeping the series of Harry Potter books off shelves because of their witchcraft content.

There have even been reports of church groups burning Harry Potter books.

Some ministers are asking parents to shield young children from the movie, which contains battle scenes and other violence, and urging them to decide for themselves whether to expose their older children to the film's supernatural elements.

"There's something wonderful about childhood fantasy and that's something you really don't want to take away from children but at the same time when witchcraft is put in a favorable light that's of concern," the Rev. David Anderson, rector of St. James Episcopal Church in Newport Beach, California, said, adding: .

"That's because witchcraft is alive today in North America and it's a very sinister force. That sends a confusing message to children as they grow older."

Lindy Beam, a youth culture analyst for the Christian-oriented Focus on the Family Web site, (http://www.family.org), warned that the movie may also subtly erode moral values. The Harry Potter character often lies, cheats or breaks rules in order to save the day.

But since the Bible also tells Christians they must engage the culture, sometimes on its terms so people can understand the message of Jesus Christ, some evangelists believe Harry Potter may be a powerful evangelism tool.

"Obviously it's tapping into universal themes such as the realities of good versus evil ... what is true and what is not true ... and that's what the Gospel is about," said the Rev. Martyn Minns of Truro Episcopal Church in Fairfax, Virginia

"For me it gives the Christian community a tremendous opportunity to talk to kids about things that really matter," Minns said. "The film reflects a tremendous spiritual hunger in the culture. ... We don't need to be afraid of imagination."

Connie Neal, a California-based former youth pastor who wrote the book "What's A Christian To Do With Harry Potter?" said people should not be afraid of the movie and that she has shared the Harry Potter books with her own children as a way to teach them right from wrong and how to tell the difference.

"We have freedom in Christ to interpret literature, even literature that deals with pagan sources," Neal said.

Meanwhile real life witches have praised the Harry Potter stories as painting their practices in a good light and raising their oft-maligned profile.

Ruth Shelton, 43, of New York, has been a practicing witch for 27 years. She first read "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's

Stone," while fixing her 13-year-old son Evan's computer and loved its literary style and British humor.

She said some members of her coven, which meets "for circle" about three times a month, have bought advance tickets.

However she balks when asked if Harry Potter's world of Hogwarts bears any similarities to her own. "(Witches) don't have quite the same array of fantasy characters or live in a world completely apart from the mundane world," she said.

bodlover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ok, I saw the film last night (finally!!) and heres what I think, I think the film is brilliant!! Very well done and extremely entertaining, BUT I have to say I thought it was quite adult really, well, I mean I thought little kids (10 year olds etc)could get quite scared by it! It WAS very good, but I don't think I'd take my children (IF I had any!! ha ha ha ha) to see it until they were a little older..ya know? Books are different, they don't force a certain image into your mind,- you can imagine yourself what its like, but with a film, the images are there and they stick in your mind!! Anyway, thats just my opinion!! Obviously it depends on the kids themselves, they are all different! Great film and I thoroughly enjoyed it!
(there were no kids there last night so I don't know how they react to it!!!)