Harness

sullaford

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh man would I love to be able to take my cat outside without having to hold him(though I do love to hold him). I bought one from Petco and he squirms his way out of it bye turning backward from where I anchor (aka facing the anchor) it and some pull his way free from it. It's so scary when he does. Is there any particular harness that people would suggest? And where would I get it?

bengalbabe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sullaford

Oh man would I love to be able to take my cat outside without having to hold him(though I do love to hold him). I bought one from Petco and he squirms his way out of it bye turning backward from where I anchor (aka facing the anchor) it and some pull his way free from it. It's so scary when he does. Is there any particular harness that people would suggest? And where would I get it?
Absolutely! Get a cat walking jacket. You can get one at http://www.hdw-inc.com/walkingjackets.htm
They are pretty much escape proof. If a bengal can't escape from it no cat can!!!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think Zoey is getting an 18 month bday present...

enigma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
do cats take to that harness better? I have the regular harness that wraps around the cat, but am afraid the cats would not take to that. i put a kitty sweater on them and they stop moving, limp up, and look at me like what are you doing mom?

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I second the walking jacket. It is much more secure around the neck and body, and they will adapt to it given time. My cat knows it's the only way she's going outside, so as soon as I pick it up, she comes running.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The walking jacket are very interesting. I won't be walking my kitties because there are to many big doggies around if I were I would look into getting the jackets. Thanks for the link.

Lei

bengalbabe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I worry about dogs too. I took Harley to the park yesterday and you should have seen him go after those squirrls! If he wasn't on the leash and yanked back in the nick of time he would have caught several. It was like most of them didn't see him. Maybe it was the spotted camaflouge pattern?
Anyway I carry pepper spray around my neck. If a dog even thinks of getting close to my cat he'll get sprayed. If he's on a leash the owner will be warned first but if he's off a leash he's fair game!
I do the same when im riding my horse. I can't count how many times a dog has run up to my horse trying to bite. I've never fortunately had to use the spray because my horse knows automatically to face the dog and not let the dog get behind him but it can get downright scarey!
You can also teach the cat to jump onto your sholder if scared.

absolutchaos

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

AUUGGHHH!!! I'm about to rename one of my Bengals "Houdini!!!" Frankie very quickly learned how to back out of a traditional harness, so I invested in a walking jacket. Guess what? In less than a week I am receiving calls from neighbors that Frankie, aka Houdini, has escaped AGAIN. GRRRR...

I'm going to try to make it tighter, but I'm not sure it will get any smaller than the size it is now. I'm going to have to find a way to modify it so he really can't get out of it. Wish me luck!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Are you leaving him out there unattended? Harnesses aren't actually supposed to be used for that. I believe there still needs to be supervision.

bengalbabe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AbbysMom

Are you leaving him out there unattended? Harnesses aren't actually supposed to be used for that. I believe there still needs to be supervision.
Yeah I wouldn't leave him unsupervised! He would be easy prey for a dog while tied to a harness. Walking jackets are just that-for walking your cat not for staking him out.

misskittysdaddy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Like everything else, it depends on your kitty. Two friends and I bought identical cat harnesses and one of the cats totally froze and no matter how long he wears it in the house will not get used to it, one kitty slid out almost immediately, and Miss Kitty (my kitty) took to it like a champ. She doesn't particularly like putting it on, but once it is she is completely normal.

I like the walking jacket though, thanks for the link - thinking about picking one up.

MKD

absolutchaos

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't stake them outside, but sometimes if the phone rings I'll leave them out for five min unattended while I answer a phone. Of course it's during this time that the escape occurs.