Harness Training- The Journey.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
So I've decided to harness train my two cats. I bought the harnesses an leashes today. I figured I'd share the training journey here, for both future advice and for others to learn as well.

Lets start with Monet, who is 6 years old.. I only managed to get the neck piece on him. Left it on him for about 10 minutes with treats before I took it off. He was starting to get stressed- a little at a time!

Cassie, 3 years old, did not complain when I put the harness on her. Though her belly was low and slow, she moved around with no issues. I then leashes her and no issues. Then I took her outside- she was scared but did explore a bit. I think she will learn to accept quickly.

Here's a few quick photos I snapped of Cassie. Her eyes were not dialated in fear which is a good thing!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
So adorable!!

That's my concern- I dont want them starting to beg and become door dashers

kittymomma1122

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No door dashers, but sit by the door chirping to be taken out. Mine are obsessed with trying to nibble on things like grass. I have to keep them away from flower pots so they don't try to eat them.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I know some people don't believe in taking cats outside on a harness, but Abby has learned her yard and knows where the house and doors are to get back in. If something scares her when we are outside she runs right for the door. I live in fear of something happening when we aren't home and her getting out and getting lost. It makes me feel slightly better that she knows where her house is and how to get into it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I love that pink skull hoodie harness!! I got basic ones from the pet store. If my cats take to it, I'll get a nicer , more fashionable one for them. I can't see spending extra cash if they aren't going to take to it!

I would never let my cats out without a leash. Not just because I am afraid they'd run off (they could! I mean, I am right next to train tracks and busy roads, my biggest fear!), my neighbors has cats they let out without leashes.. though they are alway supervised. I'd never know if those cats would run over to start a fight or anything. At least with a leash, I could pull my cats back if I have to! I live in a condo which is apartment style, and lots of neighbors has indoor/outdoor cats.

kittymomma1122

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I get reasonable priced harnesses at Walmart. They are for toy dogs, but they are $9 and they have good control for the cats. I have seen similar ones at petsmart for toy dogs that cost $24. I tried a regular nylon harness at first but they did not like it and it seemed to dig in under their front legs.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise

I love that pink skull hoodie harness!! I got basic ones from the pet store. If my cats take to it, I'll get a nicer , more fashionable one for them. I can't see spending extra cash if they aren't going to take to it!
I know, it's really cute.  I wanted to get one that was snug enough (the underside is velcro and adjustable) and wide enough that she couldn't wriggle out of.  She still goes after our other cats, unfortunately, and I didn't want her lunging at one of them and getting out of the harness.