HareToday protein options.

cat dad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,

Currently I'm feeding my guys whole ground rabbit, turkey, and quail. I'd like to start adding a few more while avoiding chicken. I prefer to buy whole ground and add Alnutrin.

I'm leaning towards the following:

rabbit

turkey

quail

pheasant

cavies

goose

duck

Are some better than others? Are some just a once and awhile kind of food or can all of them be rotated into the diet? Is there a site somewhere that give a nutritional breakdown of each? What about hoofed animals? It feels "off" to me feeding something they probably wouldn't eat in the wild, but if it adds something good for them nutritionally then Id consider it.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Personally I don't think one protein is better than the other, but I do think rotation is very important. I mix lower fat animals with higher, e.g., rabbit with beef. I feed whole prey model and buy most of my protein from the supermarket and farmer's market. But when Hare Today is having a good sale (like on Llama this month), then I buy some to give Ritz a treat and expose her to a novel protein.
Also, when Ritz' stomach is upset, I feed her white meat (rabbit, chicken) versus red meat (venison).
I know cats in the wild don't hunt cows, but I also have to be practical: I can source beef a lot easier than rabbit or squirrel.

This chart will give you composition of different proteins (fat/carbohydrats/protein). Duck/goose is fairly high in fat.